Cincuenta Y Siete ~ 57

It’s uncomfortable as we sit at my tiny dining table, drinking coffee and munching on pan dulce after everything Detective Shapiro spread at my feet. How did she know so much? I hope Sammy wiped my prints off the gun. 

Of course, he did! 

He’s a mobster. 

And that wasn’t his first rodeo, so I’m sure he knew exactly what to do...

Except for the part about Richie being shot in the forehead. In hindsight, I should have shot him in the temple, but I wasn’t thinking that far ahead—only about Mindy. She was so terrified, and when I close my eyes, I still see the desperate way her eyes searched the ceiling in fear, the color draining from her beautiful brown skin, and the weakness in her grip as she held onto me. 

Scrubbing my face with my hands, I try shaking the thoughts away, but it’s my mom’s slurping that snaps me out of it. The coffee mug is pressed to her lips as she glares at Angie over the rim. However, Angie doesn’t seem to give a shit with her elbows on the table and crumbs on her chin while licking sugar off her fingers. She’s enjoying this. 

“I don’t like you for my son,” my mom finally says.

“I guess it’s a good thing he’s an adult who can make his own decisions.” Angie sticks her thumb in her mouth and sucks the sweetness off with a smack. 

She needs to stop teasing my mom. The woman despises Celia, so I can’t have her hating Angie, too—not when we’ve reached a turning point.

Clearing my throat, I say, “How did that detective know all that stuff?”

Angie reaches for another sweet bread. “She said they’ve been following The Sisters and the Cartel for a while. So they must already have a shit ton of intel, and Mindy getting shot connected a few more dots in whatever case they’re building against them.”

“She was fishing,” my mom grunts. “All she has is speculation. This is what detectives do. They ask questions and mess with your head. We’ve been down this road before.” She reaches across the table, placing her hand over mine. “Miguel. Why were you there?” 

“I was worried about Mindy. I had this bad feeling.”

She sighs heavily, “Why do you always have to be a hero? I warned you that it would catch up to you. To us.”

“Yeah, well, if I hadn’t been there, Mindy might be dead.” I drop my head into my hands. “Maybe I should go see her.”

“No!” my mom barks. “That detective might not have anything on you, but you’re on her radar now. She’ll be watching you.”

“I don’t give a fuck! I need to see Mindy. I need to know she’s ok. It’s killing me.”

Angie clears her throat, “Chloe texted me. She’s at the hospital with Neil. We can get updates from her.”

We,” my mom grunts. “So, are you two dating?”

“No.” I shake my head. “We need a lot of individual therapy before a relationship could work.” My gaze slides over to Angie. “But I do like her.”

“She reminds me too much of Celia. She will hurt you.”

 “Nah.” I brush the crumbs off Angie’s chin and smile. “She likes to get under people's skin, but I’ve seen the real her, and it’s soft. Sweet.”

 “Oh, God…” Angie worms away and stands, collecting our plates. “Don’t reveal all my secrets, Miguel.” 

My mom follows Angie with her gaze before turning to me with concern knitting her brows. “There’s trouble in the air, and I don’t like her.”