Sesenta Y Nueve ~ 69

It’s hard to believe the gala is forty-eight hours away as Angie and I lay here post-scorching hot sex. We’re both on our backs, naked, and staring at the ceiling, our fingers twining and untwining while we chat. There’s peace in this. I don’t want any more chaos that has consumed my life. 

I want more of this.

Except, I have no idea what awaits me as Augusta’s employee, but if Bernard can still be the family man, then maybe it won’t be so bad.

“What do you like about me?” Angie asks.

“You mean, what do I love?” 

“Don’t say my tits!” 

“They are lovely, though.” I pinch her nipple softly, and she bats my hand away, laughing.

“I mean it. What do you love?” 

“Your honesty. Even when it’s sharp and dices me to tiny pieces. I love your laugh when you’re genuinely happy. Your smile when you’re with Ana. The way I can smell your scent on the pillows. It might just be your shampoo, but it reminds me of you.”

“Yep, it’s my hair wash,” Angie giggles. “But go on.”

Obliging, I turn onto my side to face her and coil my finger around one of the curls draped across her pillow. “Well, for selfish reasons, I love that you love me. I know I’m not easy to get along with, and I’ve said hurtful things and done hurtful things, but you’ve looked past my bullshit. No, more like inside me. I used to think Celia knew me the best since we were together for so long, but I’ve realized she didn’t truly know me because she was never fully in. Her heart was with Ramona.”

“I guess I could say the same about Jeremiah. I think I was more of an object he could own. I was something new and exciting he could show off, but then he got bored and found someone else that was shiny and new.”

“He didn’t appreciate moments like this. That’s why.” I pull her into me, and she squeals but doesn’t fight it. Instead, she pushes the hair out of my eyes and kisses me. 

Then, she rests her hand on my chest, nuzzles my nose with hers, and whispers, “I love your fierce desire to protect the people you love. Even when your approach is flawed because I know it’s coming from a good place. You have a sharp tongue, too, which strangely comforts me because I know you’ll never let someone disrespect me, and you’ll always be honest, even if it’s brutal. I love how you don’t give up. How loyal you are. How good of a son you are. And I love that you love Ana. As for the selfish part… I love your big dick.”

“Of course,” I huff, but she laughs and laughs.

“Ok, but more seriously. I love that you understand me and have been able to see past how fucked up I am,” Angie’s voice cracks, a tear rolling down to her chin. “Because I… I really am fucked up.” 

“No.” I kiss the tears dampening her cheeks. “If you’re fucked up, then I am too, but together, we make sense.”

“Please don’t leave me, Miguel.” She closes her eyes, causing more tears to spill.

“I won’t.” I kiss her lashes. 

“People always leave me, and I’m so tired of being alone.”

“Look at me,” I say, holding her face. “I love you, and I will never abandon you.”

With watery eyes, Angie smiles and crashes her mouth to mine but says through kisses, “I love you, Miguel. I love you.” 

My need for her resurfaces, so I roll her onto her back, part her legs with my knees, and she allows me to re-enter the warm space that connects us as one.