Cincuenta Y Ocho ~ 58

My pocket buzzes as Angie blows up my phone. She’s probably wondering where dinner is, so I speedwalk through the hospital lobby, ignoring the vibration as I exit. Supper will be a little late, and Angie will chew me out the moment I walk through the door, but it was worth it to see Mindy. Now my thoughts are at ease. She has a long road of recovery ahead of her, but at least she’s alive, and I feel like her squeezing my hand tonight was her way of forgiving me. 

I’m steps away from the sliding doors when someone calls my name. It’s Neil and Chloe flagging me down with Nadia behind them, which is perfect since I may or may not have a bone to pick with her—starting with why the fuck she told the detectives so much information about me!

“Are you coming from seeing Mindy?” Chloe kisses my cheeks and gives a quick embrace.

Neil flashes a sad smile, and his eyes look heavy. Mindy is like a sister to him, so I can only imagine the stress he's been under. Nadia, on the other hand, is busy typing on her phone.

“Yeah,” I reply to Chloe. “She squeezed my hand. I think that’s a good sign.”

“Did she really?” Neil clutches his chest, relief in his expression. “Maybe they’ll take her off all that medicine soon, and she can tell us who shot her.”

“Richie shot her,” I say.

“What? How do you know?” Neil shakes his head. “The cops said there was likely an intruder. They’re not done investigating, so they don’t know for sure yet, but they said it looks like someone staged Richie’s suicide.” 

“Was anything stolen?” I ask.

“No. I don’t think so…”

“Why would an intruder go there to kill and not steal anything? Think about it, Neil. Mindy was there to discuss their divorce. Richie is a psycho and possessive. He did this to her.”

Neil furrows his brows. “As much of an asshole as Richie was, he loved my cousin. I can’t see him hurting her.”

“You don't show love by giving your wife multiple black eyes,” Chloe scoffs. “I saw the one he gave her weeks ago, and Mindy told me it wasn’t the first time he put his hands on her. So, if you’re asking me, I don’t care how he died. I’m just glad he’s dead.”

"But Mindy said it was an accident." Neil's brows wrinkle as he wrestles with Chloe's words, so I clear my throat and pipe up.

“He gave her that black eye the night I kicked him out of Penthouse."

"You sure?"

"Yes. Isn’t that right, Nadia?” I peer at her, and her gaze slides up to mine from her phone.

“Right…”

“Now that I have your attention.” I pivot to face her and fold my arms. “Why did you tell Detective Shapiro about that night at the club? Or anything about me, for that matter?”

Nadia’s shoulders tense. “Because she asked me.”

“Why?” 

Nadia shrugs. “She wanted to know Mindy’s timeline leading up to meeting with Richie, so I told her she met with you.”

“But how did that lead to you telling her about me booting Richie from the club or how he threatened me?” 

“She asked if Richie had enemies.” Nadia shrugs again, and my eyes widen.

“So you named me? Nadia! Now they’re sniffing around as if I’m a suspect.” 

 “Well, are you?” She crosses her arms, one brow cocked, and Neil reprimands her in their language, but she doesn't seem to care as she stares at me.