Sesenta Y Cinco ~ 65

Before leaving this morning, I made love to Angie and held her close until she fell back to sleep. When she started snoring, I slipped away and left a note saying I had to meet with a client at the gym. It wasn’t a lie. I did leave to meet someone at the gym, but not precisely to give them a one-on-one weight training lesson. 

When I messaged Augusta that I wanted to talk, she told me to meet her at the gym at nine AM. I objected because I’d be a dumbass to allow this discussion to happen there.

But Augusta does what she wants.

Now, I’m being frisked by a guard outside the yoga room while Bernard’s huge ogre self watches me at gunpoint. The guard is a little too handsy as he swipes my balls for hidden weapons, but I’m more concerned that Augusta is hogging up space at my work while innocent bystanders exercise. 

How many pockets does she control? And how did I not know that she has sway here, too?

“Clean,” the guard says

“Check him again,” Bernard orders, and I bat the guard's hands away.

“Dude, I’m not dumb. You think I’d come here strapped?” 

“I’m buying you time,” Bernard says. “So use it wisely to finalize whatever apology you’re reciting in your head for Augusta.” 

“I don’t need extra time. Just let me into the room.”

Bernard turns to the guard. “Check him three more times.”

However, Augusta must have been listening. The door to the yoga room swings open, and she stands there dressed in white leggings and a white sports bra with bright pink sneakers. What’s with the outfit? Does she plan to workout here?

“It’s fine. Let him in, Bernard.” 

The guard pauses from feeling me up, and I step away from him, my gaze sliding to the giant ogre. “Guess I win.”

“Ma’am,” Bernard clears his throat. “It would be of great pleasure if you would allow me to teach this youngster some respect.”

Augusta waves her hand. “That won’t be necessary. If Miguel has come here to tell me what I think he’s come here to say, then you’ll be colleagues from here on out. So I need you to take him under your wing.”

“Perhaps Niko should take on that task, ma’am.”

“Niko used to be under Kay’s wing. I cannot trust him, but I trust you, Bernard. Don’t let me down.” 

“Yes, ma’am,” he says, his head bowed, yet manages to cut me a sideways glare. 

“Come with me.” Augusta beckons into the yoga studio, where the blinds are drawn for privacy. 

The door closes behind us, and it’s just the two of us alone as the air conditioning whirs through the ceiling vents. Augusta returns to the yoga mat on the floor and gets into a downward dog position. The cool breeze tickles the hair on the back of my neck, and it suddenly feels like that morning on her balcony when she took advantage of me. 

My back shutters, so I play it off as if I’m cold by rubbing my arms.

“Well, are you going to speak?” Augusta switches into a cobra pose.

“Listen, I’m not going to apologize for how I reacted the other night, but I will apologize for what I said to you. I have a sharp tongue when provoked, and you’ve prodded me to the point of biting back.”

“That doesn’t sound like an apology.” Augusta sits on her heels and folds her arms.

“It’s not. Let’s face it, you like that I challenge you. In a room full of yes-men who bow to your will, it must be refreshing to have someone say fuck you. Otherwise, you wouldn’t have asked me to work for you.”