42: Take On Me

"You probably shouldn't have agreed to this." Yuji said, tightening the plastic mechanism on his boots. 

"I don't remember agreeing to this in particular." The teacher replied, pinching the bridge of his nose. 

"You were the one who suggested this." Yuji retorted, "You literally signed paperwork saying you agreed to this.". 

"I agreed to take you on as an intern, not let you jump off buildings!". 

"Chill out. They'll work." Yuji assured him, walking over to the edge of the building. Heights had never really scared him before being thrown off a skyscraper, but he had gotten much better. He realized he was never afraid of the height, just the memory of hanging there. 

Sometimes his forearms still burned just thinking about it. 

Shaking his head, he steeled his nerves. It was strange to be doing things like these with his mask off. He had built himself a visor for a certain level of security but other than that his face was completely uncovered. 

The visor displayed that all systems were a go, so without another thought he jumped off the building.

Halfway down he clicked the side of his visor, and suddenly he stopped. Sure, he was hella unbalanced, but he was levitation! Stationary! Not floating up! That had taken ages to fix. 

"Ha!" He yelled triumphantly, running around and staying on the same level. "Told you they'd work.". 

"Holy shit." Shota breathed out, relieved the kid wasn't dead but also in shock. "Kid you just created anti gravity boots. That actually work.". This tech was probably a game changed. God, you could do so much with them. Hover boards that actually...hover, floating trains, cars, busses, the applications were nearly endless. 

"Crazy isn't it?". 

"How did your moms not know you were a genius when you were a kid?" The man asked, still shocked. 

"Well I think they always suspected." Yuji joked. "Probably never said anything 'cause they wouldn't want it to go to my head.". 

"I don't think anything goes into your head." Shota grumbled in response, remembering Yuji's last test score. The kid was so damn smart but so damn distracted. Maybe he wouldn't be if he wasn't trying to be in 800 places at once. 

Between his friends, his boyfriends, his school, his moms and vigilante work Yuji was stretched thin. Now, he was doing fine in every other way except academics. In fact, Shota was sure Yuji would be worse off emotionally if he ever let one of those slip. 

Still though, as his teacher he had to keep an eye on Yuji's grades. 

He opened his mouth to ask Yuji to try going up, but he was interrupted by a sudden shout. Yuji immediately lowered himself to the ground, the boots clicking as he ran down the alley. Aizawa was right behind him, following on the rooftops with his capture weapon unfurled. 

Yuji rounded the corner to see a man blow past him, skating on the ground like it was ice but his feet were bear. He was holding a bright pink handbag and a young woman was shouting angrily at him. Huh, some quirks were really cool. 

Yuji dashed after him, trying to stay as far away from people as possible. Crashing into someone wasn't an option today. "Hey, stop right now!" Yuji called out. 

The man running ducked into a system of alleys (didn't this city have a suspicious amount of alleys?). He probably thought he could lose Yuji through them. 

To be fair, Yuji himself had pulled that off himself a couple of times. But not many people had his senses, so he knew exactly where that heartbeat was going and who it belonged to.