6. Hot Girls vs. Nerdy Boys

See end of chapter for author's notes

//

The ride from Larry Park to Kevin's house was surprisingly short. Aleks opened the car door with shivering hands and stepped out into the harsh cold. Damn. Aleks' house wasn't small to start with, it was quite big, actually, but modest. Kevin's house was much, much bigger. He could already count five floors. Kevin saw the widen in Aleks' eyes, knew he was impressed, but didn't say anything. He opened the front door.

"You coming in? I thought you said it was cold?" Aleks sniffed, pulled his shoulders together, and stepped into the warm house.

The house looked even bigger inside than out, and seemed to be decorated by some feng shui, futursitic master of sorts. It was mostly black-and-white, minimalistic art works hung in the right empty spaces, and abstract statues and trinkets stood at table tops and awkward corners. Modern, and fresh... I like it.

Kevin shrugged his leather hoodie off and threw it carelessly onto a coat hanger.

"Hot chocolate?"

"Hm?"

Kevin smirked.

"I said I'd make you hot chocolate?"

Aleks' cheeks turned red. Kevin pretended it was from the cold.

"Oh, um, yeah. Right now?"

"You fucking nerd," Kevin guided Aleks into his large kitchen, where he went about looking for two mugs, milk, cocoa, and of course, mini marshmallows.

When the drinks were finished being made, the two of them, carefully balancing their hot mugs in cold hands, climbed up the stairs to Kevin's room.

It was huge. Like, really huge. Probably twice the size of Aleks' already decent sized room. His bed was queen sized, with gray and black sheets, and tons of matching pillows. His walls were white, and on them hung even more random paintings. His desk, big, and surprisingly tidy. Aleks expected a messy boyish room from someone like Kevin, but surprises come every day. However, in deep contrast to the room, in one corner, the walls were splattered with posters of movies and video games, a large flat screen was surrounded with speakers, multiple game consoles of sorts, and random bean bag chairs. Looking at it, Aleks realized just how out of place it looked in the anally black-and-white room. He smiled, there, that seems more like Kevin.

"Uh, you play video games?" Kevin sipped his drink carefully, shuffling over to the messy corner of his room. He carefully placed his mug on the carpeted floor before digging through the mess of DVD's and random wires.

"Yeah," Aleks followed, sipping and watching as Kevin looked for a good video game.

"You know what, screw it, let's just watch a movie. You like horror movies?"

"Not really."

"Scared?"

"Yeah,"

"Oh," Kevin turned so Aleks wouldn't see his face turn red. He'd never met anyone so honest and goddamn polite. He'd brought tons of girls home, made tons of drinks for them, and asked too many times to watch a horror movie. It was like some kind of overly cliché-d foreplay; the girl gets scared, the guy wraps grabby hands around her, and just as the scary part comes on, so do their hormones. He wanted to laugh at how different this situation was.

Usually he brought sultry girls in tight clothes home, not nerdy, thick sweater wearing guys like Aleks, and the drinks he made weren't sweet and hot, they were alcoholic and stolen from his parents' wine cellar. And here they were, in Kevin's bedroom, and Aleks is saying, let's watch How To Train Your Dragon, and Kevin wants to make a face, but he actually likes the movie, so he wordlessly puts in the dvd.

The two of them pulled random bean bag chairs to sit on, but as they weren't close or anything, there stood an awkward gap between the two of them. Kevin chewed at the marshmallows slowly melting in his mouth, and the movie started.

He'd watched How To Train Your Dragon quite a lot of times—but of course would never admit it—so he'd pretty much memorized the whole script by heart, but looking over at Aleks, eyes wide, skin pale... he noticed a stray drop of quickly cooling hot chocolate on the edge of Aleks' thin lips. Without thinking, he'd reached over and swiped it away with his thumb. Aleks' head snapped to look at him, seeing Kevin's hand wavering just inches from his face.

No, don't lose your cool, don't look like a fucking weirdo!

"You're such a messy person, can't even drink hot chocolate,"

Don't say anything flirty, goddammit!

"Uh, yeah, thanks?" Aleks' cheeks turned red, and he stared deep into his hot chocolate, avoiding Kevin's eyes.

Fuck.

For the next half of the movie, they remained the same, silently sipping their drinks and enjoying the film.

"Kevin? I need to use the toilet," Aleks gently placed his long-ago empty mug on Kevin's desk. He got up from the comfy beanbag chairs and wavered awkwardly. Kevin stared at him with a dumb expression.

"Um... where's the toilet?" Aleks' ears turned red and, oh god, Kevin had to look away momentarily because he looked really cute when he blushed for the dumbest reasons.

"Hello?" Kevin blinked, snapped from his daze. Now it was his turn for his face to turn red.

"O-oh, right. The door to your right," Kevin pointed at the bathroom connected to his bedroom, smiled charmingly, and looked away when he noticed the way Aleks' skinny jeans hugged his freakishly slim legs. Seriously. No guy should have legs so slender and shapely—it just isn't fair.

A few minutes later, Aleks emerged from the toilet, wiping his damp hands on his jeans, his beanie stuffed into the back pocket of his jeans. Kevin's eyes zeroed in on his hands. Long, slender fingers, bony. His eyes wandered up his arms, pale and skinny, concealed under his ridiculously thick sweater. His hair, God, his hair. Brown, feathery, and sticking up in certain directions. Kevin wanted to run his fingers through soft hair, trace circles on pale cheeks, run warm hands down his waist...

Stop thinking weird things, Kevin closed his eyes and opened them, only to be greeted with a pair of enticing mahogany eyes boring into his own. He wanted to look away, but it was like, damn, those eyes.

The next thing he knew, Kevin got up from the mess of beanbags, and awkwardly stood in front of Aleks. Close enough to be within arms' reach, but too far to be intimate, in any way. So close, yet so far. Kevin reached out, and he saw the tense in Aleks' muscles, the way his shoulders somehow tightened to his neck, the way those goddamn beautiful eyes widened. He rested his fingers on a pale cheek.

For what seemed like hours, they remained like that, awkwardly too-close, too-far, a tuned-out movie playing behind them, and the smell of melted marshmallows and hot chocolate thin in the air.

You're fucking beautiful, Kevin wanted to say, some kind of fog clogging up the logical side of his mind.

Then the movie behind them goes to a particularly loud scene that shakes the two of them apart. Kevin's arm flops pathetically to his side, and he immediately sinks back down into the beanbag chairs. Aleks coughed, cleared his throat, and shortly joined Kevin in the mess of beanbag chairs.

The movie ended in ten too-quick minutes, and Aleks looks at the large clock in Kevin's room.

"I have to go home now..."

"I'll drive you."

"Thanks."

//

So, yeah. Ugh, I swear I write these things on purpose to piss myself off ;) Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter because I honestly have no outline for this story and I'm pretty much freestyling this, so. Suggestions would be well appreciated but I think I'm just gonna write and see where my creative juices flow this plot direction in. Leave a comment, vote, and follow if you enjoyed! :)