23. Teenage Lovers Never Work Out

Today's song: Cake By The Ocean - DNCE

//

"This suit is so uncomfortable," Kevin complained. He tugged at his  fitting blazer and matching tie. His dad chuckled and clapped his back.

"Get used to it," he said. "They're not that bad after a while."

"I don't understand how you wear them everyday," Kevin said.

"I got used to it."

Kevin huffed. He tightened his tie for the millionth time, checked his reflection in the mirror one last time before deciding he looked decent enough. He smiled at himself, his black hair was styled up in a quiff - a hairstyle he was hesitant to get at first but ended cutting with the encouragement of Aleks - and despite the discomfort, he did look good in a suit. He followed his dad into their Rolls Royce.

A few minutes later, Shelley came out of the house, heels click clacking, the strong stench of expensive perfume filling the car when she opened the door to slide in. She leaned in to kiss Mr. McFarlane's cheek, sending a warm smile at Kevin. He stared back with a blank expression.

"Ready to go?"

"Hmhm."

The entire drive was silent.

//

"How is school?" Mr. McFarlane asked. He shoved a forkful of pasta into his mouth, staring at Kevin expectantly. Kevin shrugged.

"It's alright. I'm trying to pick up my grades."

"That's great!" His dad complimented. "Kevin - he's a smart kid - he just never tried before. I'm surprised he didn't get held back last year."

Shelly laughed her tinkly laugh.

"I'm so glad for you, Kevin. How were your mid-terms?"

Under the table, Kevin's fingernails dug into his palm painfully. He tried not to scream and reach across the table to slap her face.

"Alright," he said instead. "Aleks has been tutoring and helping me out."

"Aleks?" Mr. McFarlane's eyebrows flew up. 

Shit.

"Who's Aleks?" Shelley asked. Kevin almost rolled his eyes at her stupid tone.

"A friend," he answered simply. They weren't having any of it.

"He's not just a friend," his dad started, eyes already bright with anticipation. He obviously thought this was when Kevin would introduce his boyfriend and they'd become a close and happy family.

Too bad stuff didn't work out like that. Despite his kind acceptance and lame attempts, Kevin's dad was still an asshole for completely fucking up Kevin's childhood by dumping his mom and moving his school, and just being distant in general. Kevin kept a moody expression on his face.

"It doesn't matter, whatever."

"Yes it does," Shelley piped in. "Have we met him?"

Yes, Kevin thought bitterly. You're fucking his asshole dad.

"I don't know."

"I have," Mr. McFarlane announced proudly. "At the charity sale right?"

Shelley stiffened in her seat. Both her and Kevin's mind must be at the awkward toilet encounter. Kevin wondered if Shelley had any suspicions on the him knowing about her affair - or if she was as clueless as he'd always made her out to be.