12. Thigh Touching

Today's Song: Breathe - Years & Years

See end of chapter for more notes

//

Aleks bit his lips, then looked away from Kevin. He stared at the small river-pond in front of him, at how the koi fish Kevin had frightened earlier swam around each other, their fins swaying through the cold water, occasionally opening their mouths for food, and causing ripples to spread across the water.

He could feel the other teen next to him tense up suddenly, and oh God I'm such a dumbass.

Even without looking, Aleks could feel Kevin's stare burn holes into the side of his skull. Why isn't he moving? Why isn't he saying anything? Aleks pulled his legs up, hugging his arms around them and tucking his chin self-consciously between his knees. He tried to look at Kevin, but couldn't meet his eyes. He decided to instead focus on the koi fish ahead of him.

The two teens sat like that for a few minutes, Aleks, cold and shivering and waiting for Kevin's reaction, Kevin staring at Aleks with an unreadable expression, his movements stilled.

Why isn't he saying anything? Why are his arms raised so defensively? Can't this dickhead just give a goddamn reaction?

Aleks cursed his impulsive nature. He should've never done this. Should've never forced Kevin out of his house so early in the morning, shouldn't have forced him to drive them all the way to this abandoned park-pond, and should've never, ever, ever, told Kevin about his stupid crush, which he'd only come to terms with with himself last night.

For someone who usually came top of his classes and held pride at having an above-average IQ, Aleks sure could be a dumbass without even knowing it.

Finally, frustrated at the fog of awkward silence above them, Aleks opened his mouth to speak.

"Are you going to say something?" Aleks asked.

"Are you serious?" Kevin asked at the same time.

They paused to let each others' words sink in.

Kevin bit the inside of his cheeks, and Aleks' eyes widened before he lowered them, a deep blush painting his pale cheeks pink. Oh my fucking God, Aleks thought, fiddling with the hem of his sweater, it was his favorite thick maroon colored one. The weather was progressively getting too warm for a sweater as thick as this one, but Aleks felt more secure, safer, in it somehow. He wore it today for some sort of subconscious luck. It wasn't working.

"W-what... what do you mean?" Aleks stammered dumbly, finally meeting eyes with Kevin. Kevin's normally warm brown eyes were wide, but emotionless. Aleks' heart clenched in his heart at the harsh gaze, but didn't dare look away. He'd already said the worst part... there was no take-backs, not now.

Kevin's mouth fell open but no sound, no words, came out, he gave no indication that he'd heard Aleks.

At this, Aleks pulled his eyebrows together and frowned.

"Say something Kevin, dammit! Aren't you a normally chatty guy, always flirting up a storm with a crowd of girls? For fuck's sake Kevin don't just stand there with your big eyes and your dull face and not give me a respond! Say something!" Aleks felt tears sting at the corner of his eyes, and he cursed himself again for being so weak suddenly.

"Kevin, please, just... give me a reaction..."

Aleks looked up at Kevin.

A pair of warm lips pressed oh-so-gently against his own.

Aleks' eyes widened, only to see that Kevin had closed his, pressed his palms firmly on the ground, leaned forward and pushed his lips against Aleks'.

Kevin was kissing him.

Kevin. Was. Kissing. Him.

Without even thinking, Aleks uncurled his legs, letting them rest against the grassy floor, and pressed his palms against the sides of Kevin's face. He leaned into the kiss, suddenly confident. The tears which had earlier threatened to fall were gone, and he squeezed his eyes shutter and kissed Kevin harder. Well, he didn't exactly know how to kiss a person harder, he just sort of leaned into Kevin more, with his entire body.

Goosebumps raised on Aleks' arms under his thick maroon sweater, and his stomach was doing flips and ohmygod I'm kissing Kevin he's kissing me.

When the two finally parted, Aleks was panting, his heart hammering against his weak-feeling ribcage, and there was a ringing in his ears. Kevin opened his eyes and stared at Aleks as though he were a work of art.

"I like you too," Kevin smiled. It wasn't his usual, cocky, flirty smirk or grin, but a shy, almost hesitant smile that looked kind of out of place on Kevin's handsome face.

Aleks blushed, and pressed his fingertips to his lips.

"You... we kissed."

"Yeah, we did," Kevin might've meant for it to come out jokingly but his voice was struck with awe.

The two of them sat like that for a few moments, Aleks blushing, Kevin glowing, until finally Kevin broke their silence.

"Come on, Aleks, I'll drive you home."

Aleks' arm shot out when Kevin started to get up.

"Wait," Aleks blushed again, surprised at his aggressiveness. He loosened his grip on Kevin's leather jacket. "wait, uh, can we go over to your place, maybe?"

Kevin's face broke into an ear-to-ear grin at his words.

"Sure."

//

Once in the car, Aleks suddenly remembered Kevin's words.

Kevin switched the engine on and started his car, slowly leaving the beloved abandoned park and driving to his house. Kevin was humming nonsensically, and Aleks almost jumped out of his skin when Kevin casually lay a hand on his skinny jean-ed thigh. Aleks looked up, to see that Kevin was smirking at the road ahead. Kevin turned to Aleks for a brief moment to see Aleks blushing at the touch.

"You know what I noticed?" Aleks tried not to quiver.

"What?"

"You called me Aleks just now."

Kevin pulled a funny face.

"What do you mean, it's your name, of course."

"No, I mean, you usually call me 'Aleksandr' or that dumb nickname, 'Just Aleks'. Where'd you even get that?" Aleks leaned closer to Kevin, could feel his body heat.

"'Cause once I called you Aleksandr, and you told me it's "just Aleks"," Kevin lifted his one hand from Aleks' thighs momentarily to make air quotation marks, "so I thought it was funny. I thought you got it?"

Aleks huffed and leaned back into the comfortable leather seat.

"No, I never did. I thought it was just some dumb name you came up with to piss me off."

"Did it piss you off?"

"Somewhat."

Kevin snorted, tightening his fingers around Aleks' leg, and causing tingles to shoot straight from where his fingertips met his legs up his spine. Aleks tried not to show how his whole upper body physically shivered.

"You're cute when you're mad," Kevin smirked again at Aleks.

"Shut up."

"Never."

//

And there it is. The long awaited confession on both sides. I really liked how this turned out, idk. I hope this satisfies your expectations from the previous kind-of cliffhanger I left everyone at <3 I hope you enjoyed reading this, and remember to leave a comment/vote if you did, and follow me for more chapters and updates to come! Have a nice day ;)