8. I Hate You But Damn...

Today's Song: Worship - Years & Years

See end of chapter for more notes

//

Kevin spent most of the day trying to avoid Aleks. Which actually proved to be really hard because it was like the universe made the right amount of rotations in just the perfect timing to align Kevin's stars of bad luck so the kid was in pretty much every one of his classes. And it didn't help that the usually empty seats near him weren't taken. And of course his friends were friendly people so why don't you join us for lunch, Aleks with a ks?

It sucked, and he didn't even know why he was being so distant about this whole thing. Usually, when it came to girls he'd just flat out reject them, always turning his back to their cries and pleas. It was common, letting a girl on and then toying around and then leaving.

But Aleks isn't like the other girls, is he?

Kevin frowned, digging his fork into his plate of not-so-tasty looking spaghetti. The meatballs looked like gray dough balls, and the tomato sauce was depressingly not the taste of tomato sauce.

"So, Aleks, what do you think of the school so far?" Eddie's voice snapped the invisible tether of silence ringing in Kevin's ears.

Aleks pulled his lips together and shrugged, squinting his eyes to imitate that he was thinking og the right words. Honestly, he looked like a fricking loser and Kevin was about to lose his cool just by looking at him. How. Fucking. Ridiculous. Honestly.

"It's better than my previous school, for sure. The teachers there were annoyingly strict and you guys have heaters and your washrooms," Aleks sighed, rubbed his blue hands together, and took a bite of his salad. "Plus, the girls here are way hotter."

Everyone in the table spluttered out laughing. Kevin chuckled just for the sake of it. He knew too well about how hot the girls in school were. He looked at Aleks, and then had to choke back his food. Caught in this moment, laughing, the corners of his eyes wrinkled, his mouth o shaped and wide in laughter, cheeks slightly pink from the cold... damn.

Kevin pushed his neglected spaghetti away and sipped his carton of orange juice.

Aleks isn't like the other girls... he's so different it's cute.

//

Kevin arrived to an empty home, which he was already very familiar with. He didn't mind the peace and quiet, and he definitely didn't mind the freedom that came with absent parents, but it always got boring and lonely so easily. There was always his loyal driver, Thomas, but he was an old man with little words. Plus, Kevin was more looking for someone he could really talk to, about things in his life. Not the same boring shit Thomas read from the newspaper every morning.

Suddenly, he felt the heavy weight of his phone in his pocket.

He took it out, checked to see that he had gotten a few flirty texts from girls. Some he responded to but most he just deleted without a second glance. And zero texts and calls from His Actual Friends. He was starting to think they were getting tired of his shitty attitude and were purposely not inviting him to stuff until eventually he'd just leave their circle of friends.

Not that he really needed them, of course. Surely, the most popular and good-looking guy in school would have no trouble finding new friends. But it would still suck. They were the few people who were really down to earth and didn't revolve their life around a sport.

He scrolled through his texts. Some from his driver, a few from his dad to tell him he'd be overseas for a few weeks. Mostly sexts to and fro girls. And somewhere at the bottom, his most recent and only conversation with Aleks.

Aleksandr, I'm going to call in one minute.

Kevin chewed at his bottom lip, scratched the edges of his phone, messed up his already messy hair.

Fuck it, he thought. Fuck. It.

He typed out a text to Aleks. Deleted the message and started over. He felt like a bubbly girl with a schoolgirl-type crush. No, that's stupid. He's cool, unfazed and fooled around with girls. He's supposed to be cool, unfazed and fool around with girls.

Hey Aleksandr,

//

Hey world... it's been a while, sort of. Yeah this streak of inspiration I had going ended pretty quick and I'm still trying to fix my damn writers' block so have this dumb chapter that is really shitty and I hate it but I still have to post something because you guys are amazing <3 Anywho, I hope you liked it nonetheless and I pray that by the next chapter I'll have overcome my writers' block and type up something a lot more interesting and with more plot :) remember to leave a vote, a comment and follow me for more :)