17. Like Father Like Son

Today's song: Wolves - Digitalism (ft. Youngblood Hawke)

See end of chapter for more notes

//

The door slammed shut behind Kevin. He yawned, and scratched his nose, eyelids starting to droop. He'd just driven back home from Aleks' house, tiredness and exhaustion slipping down his spine and spreading across his entire body. All he wanted to do was go to bed, curl up, and listen to indie music.

"Kevin?"

Who the fuck...?

Kevin pulled his black hoodie off his shoulders, suddenly aware of the hot air inside the house. But nobody had been home when he left? And he was usually home alone most of the time anyway, so who'd turned on the heater? He wrapped his hoodie around his waist, pulled his low sweatpants up only to have them fall just below his hipbones again. Careful not to make a lot of sound, he padded into the living room, to hear the distant sound of the television. And his dad, in his suit, the blazer tossed to a side, top buttons of his shirt undone, belt loosened, bottle of wine clutched lazily in one hand.

"Hey, look who's home, it's Kevin!" His dad smirked at him, classically handsome face twisted. "Come sit with me, eh?"

Nonono I don't want to, I don't-

"Uh, sure," Kevin tried to keep a straight face. What the hell was his dad doing? He'd said he had to go for a meeting this entire week, and wouldn't be back till late night. And yet, here he was, almost drunk, inviting Kevin to sit and watch tv with him?

Slow, hesitant movements, Kevin swivelled around the larg L-shaped sofa and took a seat a good human-sized space away from his dad. His dad sighed at seeing the strict posture and rigid face of his son, leaning back into the leather sofa, taking a sip from the wine bottle. Kevin cleared his throat, trying to look at anywhere else but his dad's eyes.

"So, what's up? Where'd you go just now? It's cold out, you're only wearing a shirt," his dad didn't sound particularly concerned.

"I brought a jacket. And i was mostly indoors. At a friend's, actually," Kevin scratched his elbow. "And I'm not even really bothered by the cold."

"A friend's?" His dad chuckled, face going slightly red. "Which one?"

"Um, uh..."

"She give you those hickeys?" His dad smirked, then burst out laughing, the wine sloshing dangerously in the bottle, now almost about to slip from his fingers and crash onto the floor. "You just don't give a shit if anyone sees, right?"

Kevin's hand shot up to his neck. He pressed two fingers into the conjunction connecting his neck to his shoulders, and winced at the thin pain. He couldn't see for sure, but he could feel a bruise there. A pretty big and blue one, too.

His first thought was, Aleks.

Damn. He brought his other hand up, and cupped them around his neck protectively. These were marks from Aleks, he didn't want people like his distant dad to see them.

"Trying to hide? I've already seen them, son. So, who is it? Someone important Shelly and I need to meet? Or are you just going through a teenage phase and screwing girls around?" When Kevin looked away, his dad just leaned forward to nudge his shoulder playfully. "Don't keep secrets around your old man, eh? C'mon, I used to be like that, too. I was super good-looking back then, believe it or not. I just tossed girls around left and right."

Kevin frowned.

"Did you ever change, eventually?" His dad brushed off the sly insult.

"I met your mother. But I suppose that didn't really work up because I fucked up really bad on that, right?" His dad shook his head. "Don't take after me, son. Find someone you actually like, don't fool and splash round. You'll get other people wet."

"I... um, well I really like this person. I'm over the... teenage phase, uh, thing," Kevin answered honestly.

"That's nice to hear. So, who's the lucky girl? Jeez, did you drive out the entire day just to see her? She must be a big deal then. So, do I get a a name? Will I eventually meet her?"

Kevin glanced at his dad. He gulped. Don't keep secrets around your old man, eh?

Blood pounding a rhythmic beat in his ears, Kevin cleared his throat, and leaned forward closer to his dad.

"Uh, dad, I want to tell you something. Something kind of, uh, out of the ordinary, I guess?"

"Well I'm not yet completely drunk, so, whatever you have to say, shoot."

"I, uh..." Kevin blinked, clenched his hands, scratched his ears.

"Well? I have all day."

"I'm, er, it's not a girl," Kevin stammered, His dad raised an eyebrow. "What, you punched your neck or something?"

"No, no, God, no. Dad, er, a boy did it. A boy, I'm dating him, actually."

He looked up, his dad had a blank expression on his face, eyes just slightly narrowed.

"Dad, I'm not straight. I, uh, I like boys. Males, men."

When his dad made no movement to answer, panic burst through Kevin's chest. Shitshitfuck I shouldn't have done that now he hates me he's going to kick me out and fuckshitshit...

"Called it."

Wait. What?

Kevin didn't say anything, but his dad smirked at his confused, dazed face.

"Son, I knew you weren't all girl-horny, alright? I know I've done a shitty job of it but I am still your father. Excuse me, then, who's the lucky boy, you're already dating him? Jesus he's got some teeth on him, doesn't he?" He laughed at the blue teeth marks on Kevin's collarbone. "Will I ever get to meet him? Or is that a secret you're gonna keep?"

"You're not mad?"

"Mad? For what? No, if you don't want me to meet him yet, that's fine. But I do want to, eventually."

"No, I mean, you're not mad that I'm, er, bisexual? 'Cos, I thought you-"

"What, think I have something against that? Nah."

"Oh."

"Well? You haven't answered any of my questions."

"Uh, his name is Aleks. Spelt with a 'ks' and not an 'x'."

"What's up with that? Hippie parents?"

"No, he's Russian."

"Nice, hah, Russian. Trust you to find someone from Russia to date. He got an accent?"

"No, he speaks fluent english."

"Damn, your loss. Russians are sexy."

//

Sorry I've been so shit at updating recently lmao... anyways enjoy this coming out thing from Kevin. I know it's long, boring, and doesn't progress the plot but I just needed to post something so y'all know I'm alive af. I promise next chapter will have some (hopefully major) progress in plot. And also further chapters will include more **physical contact***** between these two bbys. Also, I joked(??) about them doing de sex but I think y'all actually want it, which I don't mind writing. So, I just wanna know if ppl are comofrtable with it? 'Coz I can just kinda... slip some in ;)