Polly Wants to Get Cracked in the Mouth

Aria POV

It had been a couple days since Frederick said I could stay the summer and I still couldn't believe it. I was tempted to say no, but nothing compared to the look of distain on the mother-daughter duos face. You would think I singlehandedly ruined their summer.

I had swiftly called my mom and got her permission to stay, with her offering to send some more of my clothes over as well. I wasn't gonna lie, I was gonna miss my mom a lot. It was one thing for me to sneak out the house for a quick international tirade, but 2 months surrounded by practical strangers was a lot, especially without my mom. She assured me that things would be okay and that "your father" would take great care of you...if he knew what was good for him.

'My father.' I smiled at the thought. We weren't exactly *there* yet, but if his proclamation meant anything, he truly wanted to make up for lost time and be a real father for me.

I went over to what I discovered was a "vanity" and sat down, beginning to brush the knots out of my hair. I made sure to ask my mom to send over some haircare because the products here were "Becky friendly" but not "black" friendly. I winced at a particularly large knot before I got into a groove, humming a song to myself as I got to work.

That is, until I heard the sound of what could only be described as a woolly mammoth outside my room. I didn't even blink, sighing as I continued to do my hair as the door slammed open.

I had stopped my brushing, looking over at the door,"Y'all don't knock over here?", I asked the bottle blonde who had barged into my room. What was the point in banishing me to this part of the house if they were gonna blatantly seek me out? It worked both ways.

She ignored me, coming towards me, "You think your so clever, don't you?", she hissed at me, her hands on her hips with her face stuck in in its permanently upturned manner.

I took a deep breath, turning around in my chair to face her. "Well I'm not stupid", I snorted, crossing my arms over my chest. Did she wanna fight or something? If she did, I was ready for it, but I knew she wasn't about shit. She'd probably just send Cerberus after me.

"Why don't you go back to America and stop trying to ruin our lives. We have plans for our future and you, sadly, are not included", she made a pouty face and I wanted to smack it off her. However, I didn't, instead remaining seated and thinking like Queen Jinx Monsoon. 'Water of a ducks back. Water off a ducks back. Water of a ducks back.', I recited to myself. Say what you want, but they were words to live by.

For some reason, the heifer took my silence for weakness and continued to talk shit, "As you can see, we already have a family here, so you're not needed here. Frederick already has a daughter, so you should save yourself some embarrassment and leave." I wouldn't lie and say her words didn't hurt, they stung like a bitch, but I would never give her the satisfaction. She wanted a war, but she didn't know she was up against Athena and Aries reincarnate.

I looked at her blankly, no emotion on my face and her smirk fell. I knew she just wanted to see me sweat, but I could show her how it's really done.

"Look", I started, standing up and walking over to her, "I know you don't like me. Why? I honestly don't know nor do I care enough to find out", I continued moving towards her, "What I do know is that I'm here to build a relationship with my father and whether you like me or not I'm gonna be here awhile" She began to back away as I got close and I found it almost laughable. She had barged up in here but now she was running just like those thotpockets back home.

"My only advice is that you better get used to this pretty melanated face", I quipped, poking my dimpled cheek.

"And another thing", I added, getting all in her personal space now, standing ten toes deep with her, "if you talk about me again, whether it be my weight, my looks or my Americaness", I emphasized, standing over her with the meanest mug I could muster, "I will rock your shit so hard the Queen will feel it."

The chick looked liked she had pissed herself and it took everything in me to not laugh. Instead, I decided to be the bigger person and end this once and for all. With a well timed jump in her direction, she squealed, and in her escape, tripped over the threshold of my door. I smirked down at her before grabbing both my doors and shutting them, sure to lock them this time.

* * * * * *

Normal POV

"I'm telling you mom, these folks are trying me!", Aria ranted into her phone. She threw herself onto the bed recounted what had happened with Princess Polly earlier and she was still angry. If she was back home, she would've dragged her ass to relieve her anger.

Her mom sighed, practically feeling her daughter's fury through the phone; she definitely had her momma's temper, "I know baby, but just power through. Trust me, I know exactly how you're feeling."

Aria paused at that, "What do you mean, ma?", she questioned, looking at the phone.

The line was silent for a moment, but it was deafening as the older tried to find the right words to say. It was surprising you found a lawyer at a loss for words, especially her mother, but here she was.. She sighed when she could not find them, "Well it was no secret his father hated me", she started, still selecting her words, "they all did, well aside from his mother, bless her heart." They both smiled at that, they were both glad to find that they had both shared reprieve with the matriarch of the estate.

Aria's smile fell slightly, "Why didn't granddad like you?", she asked carefully, not wanting to open any old wounds. Although her mother had moved on with her life, Aria noted the sensitivity of the topic and was careful with what they talked about on the phone pertaining to Frederick.

Memphis sighed over the phone, "I honestly had and have no clue", she supplied to the best of her ability, "I would be lying if I didn't think it was because I was African American." People were just as if not more racist in the U. K. and the decades since her time there did not change that.

Aria chewed her lip, the thought of her grandfather looking down on her mother like some bigot, making her sick. "So was it?", she asked, "was that why?"

"I honestly have no idea if it was just a single thing with him", her mother said, "I don't think he was ever happy really, considering what Ricky told me."

Aria became crestfallen at the words, "Oh." It was strange yet ironic to know she was not the only person with a bad relationship with their father. It seemed the apple didn't fall far from that tree.

Memphis noticed the silence and it hurt that she could not comfort her daughter, to see her beautiful face again. She had never gone this long without seeing her daughter and it was hard. Still, when Aria and Frederick asked her if she could stay, she couldn't refuse. What type of mother would she be to deny her daughter of the father she always wanted?

"I love you, Henry", she told her, meaning it from the bottom of her heart.

Aria could not help but smile at her mother's words, "I love you too, mama."

No matter what happened with her grandfather, Frederick or anyone else around her, they would have eachother and they would be alright.

Endnotes: Hey everybody! 👋🏿 long time no see. Wanted to give y'all an update (this book is a guilty pleasure of mine and I'll fine it if it kills me lol) and wish y'all a Happy Pride! ❤🧡💛💚💙💜