A Boxing Match at the Breakfast Table

Normal POV

"Frederick did you know Aria was 17?", Lady Annissa asked as they all sat at the breakfast table that morning. They had already talked about the fashion- don't- show and agreed that she was to always arrive with someone to avoid future situations.

"Yes mother, we came to that understanding rather quickly.", he responded, lip turned up in a grin as he ate a spoonful of egg.

The older woman swatted her hand in his direction, making a face at him, "Don't be a twat at the breakfast table, young man." Aria almost choked on her juice and it didn't help that Eleanora and Evangeline looked as if this was the first time such vulgar words violated their "innocent" ears.

Annissa rolled her eyes at the two, stirring her tea, "As I was saying, she is 17 years old, perfect time for her coming out party.", she suggested eating a piece of whatever the hell that was on her plate. The entire table went silent for a moment; only a moment.

"You know what? Dare I say, that's a splendid idea mother!", Frederick exclaimed, clapping his hands together happily.

Eleanora however, didn't seem too keen on the idea, "Dear are you sure that would be a good idea?", she asked wearily, giving him a 'Is something wrong with your head?' look. They just met her and he's already trying to bring her into their lives, "You should really think this through", she pleaded not so discreetly, her fake smile growing more and more forced as the days went by.

Frederick seemed to ignore her pestering, looking over at Aria once more, "Nonsense, I don't see why we shouldn't, Evangeline had one and it's only right seeing as she's of age", he explained offering a smile which she returned with an orange wedge in her mouth.

Earning disgusted looks from those seated across her, she spit of the peel, wiping the juice from her face. "Uh question?", she said, raising her hand as if she was back in preschool, "No offense, but what am I of age for exactly?", she asked the table, honestly clueless of the topic at hand, "And I'm coming out as?"

Frederick could help, but snicker at her confusion. Of course she wouldn't understand all of the customs and traditions here; he made note to have Evangeline give her a few pointers and help steer her in the right direction.

His grin fell upon catching the pointed look his fiancée shot him, "A coming out party is when a young girl uh preferably around your age has a ball of some sort to announce that she is become a woman and can now be approached by possible suitors", he explained.

As simple as he made it sound, Aria was still having a hard time grasping it, "So it's kinda like an auction of girls, like in Taken?", she asked, before cocking her head to the side, "Isn't that illegal?"

Aria and everyone jumped when Frederick started coughing, spitting out his tea. He slapped his own chest while simultaneously trying to wipe the mess from his clothes, "W- wha- no no no!", he croaked through fits of coughs. Aria thought he was dying for a second, "n- not trafficking it- its...", he was visibly struggling to get his words together, the tips of his ears going bright red.

"Oh get your knickers out of a twist
Freddy", his mother finally stepped in, saving him from his embarrassment. She turned to Aria,  putting her hand over hers, "It's just a big party to announce that you're coming out as a women for possible suitors and such, kind of like a birthday party", she explained kindly, "No marriage is required or anything", she explained patiently to the girl, "at least not anymore", she added.

Realization appeared on Aria's face, "Oh", she said quietly, nodding her head. That sounded way better than what she thought it was. She couldn't help but feel foolish and embarrassed.