6: The Mind Flayer

November 3rd, 1984

Steve, myself and the kids all trekked back along the tracks and towards Steve's car, praying that we didn't run into any more of the not-lizards. The growling could still be heard occasionally but had pretty much calmed down and we were left to walk in silence. Well...we would've been if it wasn't for the fact that Dustin and Lucas kept arguing with each other. Apparently, Dustin's friends knew about Dart and he promised them he'd get rid of it which he obviously didn't. Though Dustin was still trying to play along with his lie and Lucas was starting to become suspicious.

"You're positive that was Dart?" Lucas asked for the millionth time which caused the lot of us to sigh.

"Yes. He had the same exact yellow pattern on his butt," Dustin explained for the millionth time as well.

"He was tiny two days ago," Max pointed out.

"Well, he's molted three times already," Dustin reminded her as Steve raised a brow.

"Malted?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"Molted. Shed his skin to make room for growth like hornworms," Dustin explained but poor dumb Steve still looked confused.

Though not that dumb...he was apparently getting high marks in math. Secret nerd alert!!

"When's he gonna molt again?" Max asked and Dustin shrugged.

"It's gotta be soon. When he does, he'll be full grown, or close to it. And so will his friends," he reiterated.

"Then we'll be dealing with an entire army," I muttered and the mood of the group went down considerably.

"Yeah, and they're gonna eat a lot more than just cats," Steve added and Dustin death glared him.

"Wait, a cat? Dart ate a cat?" Lucas asked, seemingly shocked, as Dustin tried to brush him off.

"No, what? No."

"What are you talking about? He ate Mews," Steve pointed out and Dustin smacked him.

"Mews? Who's Mews?" Max asked.

"It's Dustin's cat," Steve finished despite the kids protests.

"Steve!" Dustin whined as Lucas snapped his fingers.

"I knew it! You kept him!" Lucas shouted.

"No! No. No, I... No, I..." Dustin trailed off before sighing and turning to Lucas head on. "He missed me. He wanted to come home."

"Bullshit," Lucas fired back and Dustin frowned.

"I didn't know he was a Demogorgon, Okay?"

"Oh, so now you admit it?"

"Guys, who cares? We have to go," Max reminded them and I was about agree when Lucas reeled on her.

"I care! You put the party in jeopardy! You broke the rule of law!" Lucas argued and Dustin scoffed.

"So did you!"

"What?"

"You told a stranger the truth!" Dustin deadpanned and shoved a thumb towards Max.

"A stranger? You told Ren as well," Max shot back and I glared at her.

"Don't drag me into this fight...and I arguably have more experience than all of you combined," I shot back and shook my head before wandering over to Steve who was standing on the edge of the forest.

We were a couple feet from a trail that led to an overlook where you could see the whole town. I had been meaning to take Steve there since it was famous with couples but because of the stupid not-lizards we never got the chance.