17: We Have the Best Doctors

July 3rd, 1985

We stared at the newly opened gate for a solid minute before Robin realized we weren't as confused as her and Erica.

"Wait...you all know about this how?" Robin asked.

"Who cares, we gotta get out of here and tell somebody!" Erica ordered and we all nodded before heading back downstairs.

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the room and was about to grab the door when Dustin stopped me.

"Steve...where's the guy you beat up?" Dustin asked and we turned to find the kid was right...he was gone.

"Shit," Steve exclaimed and ran over to the door before turning back to us. "Run!"

We all jumped into action and ran back upstairs which only succeeded in getting trapped in the same room as the gate machine. I cursed and bolted out of the control room and trekked my way across the catwalk before hopping down to the floor. A couple shocked Russians stared at me as I bolted after Steve who knocked over a bunch of barrels. The barrels slammed into a couple of the guards chasing us but we were still very much screwed. A slight bit of hope came through in the form of a boiler room just off the gate room and we all crashed through the door.

"Dustin! Erica! Go!" Steve exclaimed and stayed back to hold the door in place.

"Seriously, Harrington? Playing the hero are we?" I inquired before slamming my shoulder against the door to keep it in place.

"Hey you stayed to," he shot back and I rolled my eyes.

"No way I'm leaving you behind," I declared and Robin let out a groan from her spot beside me.

"Ugh...you two are so cute, it's disgusting," she said with a glare and I rolled my eyes, watching as Dustin and Erica got a vent open.

"Steve! Come on!" Dustin yelled just as Erica jumped into the vent.

"You guys go! Go get help!" Steve ordered and Dustin stared at him, torn between safety and his surrogate mother.

"What...no...Steve come on. Ren!" Dustin tried but I shook my head.

"Listen to him, you go. Trust me," I assured and Dustin sighed before jumping into the vent.

"I'll never forget you," he said but we just yelled at him.

"Go!"

Dustin pulled the vent closed just as the guards managed to push through the door. The impact knocked the three of us to the ground and I groaned in pain, my hurt shoulder hitting the floor very hard. I sat up dazed and noticed that Steve and Robin were surrounded, guns in their faces. I glared daggers and stood, Steve and I's connection screaming at me that he was in danger.

"Hey!! Get back you assholes!!" I shouted and Steve turned.

"Ren! No!" He protested but I didn't listen and transformed into a wolf before jumping forward, baring my fangs.

A guard I hadn't noticed on my left took the opportunity and shot me point blank with his assault rifle. Sure it was only one round but the immense amount of pain slammed me back into human form. I crashed down next to Steve and glanced down to find blood already beginning to pool around me.

"Shit..."

"Ren! Ren...are you ok?" Steve asked but his voice sounded distant.

"Ugh...I don't know..." I muttered just as the same guard grabbed me and held me up, a twisted grin on his face.

"Hey! Get back you bastard!!" Steve yelled but a different guard punched him and Steve was knocked back down.

"You are intriguing...so very strange...but..." The guard stabbed the end of his rifle into my stomach and I whimpered in pain. "Also...so very dead. How sad. I'll keep you around but only so your friends can watch."