8: Close the Gate

November 4th, 1984

It took the kids less than twenty minutes to get ready and after they packed everything I jumped in the back and told Max to step on it. For a kid she was a pretty good driver and for someone seated in front of the back seats on the floor, I appreciated the fact that she could keep the car steady, for the most part. Max was calm and collected which was much needed at a time like the present and I really hoped that Steve would stay asleep till we got to the pumpkin. But I didn't have that much luck and the guy let out a groan from his spot between Dustin and Mike.

"Ren?" Steve inquired and glanced at Mike as he raised a brow.

Steve slowly started to realize where he was and reached up to touch his swollen eye but Dustin stopped him.

"No, don't touch it. Hey, buddy...It's okay. You put up a good fight. He kicked your ass, but you put up a fight. You're okay. I mean, you also got saved by your girlfriend...but it's all good," Dustin assured.

"Yeah and that girlfriend isn't that comfortable on the floor by the way," I pointed out and Steve stared at me in mild shock, likely wondering why I wasn't driving.

"Okay, you're gonna keep straight for a half a mile, then make a left on Mount Sinai," Lucas explained just as Steve caught sight of the fact that Max was driving.

"What's going on? Oh, my God!" Steve said and slowly began to panic before pulling away from Dustin.

"Just relax. She's driven before," Dustin told him and Mike scoffed.

"Yeah, in a parking lot."

"That counts. They were gonna leave you behind," Dustin added and I raised a brow, wondering I never got the memo that they were gonna leave him.

"Oh, my God," Steve muttered and began to freak out even more.

"I promised that you'd be cool, okay?" Dustin said and Steve shook his head.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. What's going on?" Steve muttered and sat up, staring at me as I gave him a grin. "Oh, my God. No! Whoa! Stop the car. Slow down."

"I told you he'd freak out," Mike pointed out.

"I can stuff him in a memory if you guys want," I offered and both Steve and Dustin turned to stare at me.

"Really? You'd do that to him?" Dustin asked and I shrugged.

"What...no...Stop the car!" Steve ordered and I sighed before placing a hand on his knee to calm him.

My brain was flooded with worry and I pulled back, cringing at the bad vibes just flowing off of Steve.

"Everybody shut up! I'm trying to focus!" Max shouted and Steve shut his mouth as Lucas cursed.

"Oh, wait, that's Mount Sinai. Make a left."

"What?"

"Make a left!" Lucas ordered and Max cursed before yanking the wheel to the left.

I was slammed into Steve's knees and cursed as she barely made it onto the road in one piece. But she made it and pulled off the street before sliding to a stop in the pumpkin patch right beside the hole. I let out a sigh as Max shut off the car and hopped out, quickly followed by the others. I stumbled out of the car, nearly toppling over thanks to my head as Steve did the same.

"Whoa!" Dustin exclaimed and walked over to high five Max.

"Incredible," Lucas praised and she blushed.

"I told you. Zoomer," Max said with a grin and I chuckled before patting her on the back.

The kids began to pull supplies out of the back of the car which didn't go over well with Steve who was still very concerned.