20: Dear Steve Harrington

When you don't have an aesthetic photo yet you do have a photo of a mom talking about his children. 😬 Frankly I think it's better...enjoy!!

August 8th, 1985

The Byers were set to move on August 10th so that only gave me a couple days to hang with El before she left. She spent a lot of her time with Mike and I knew that leaving him would be hard on her but it was starting to becoming a tad bit annoying. I got that her and Mike were experiencing the joys of young love but they could do it on their own time. I mean, I'm El's sister and I feel like second best to some boy she barely knows. Well I mean, she does know him but not as well as me and they definitely don't have a connection like ours. I knew that I was being petty but I was allowed to be annoyed by my reluctant sister. And I kept glaring at El as she complained about leaving Mike behind for like the hundredth time.

"I can't believe I'll so far, and dad said that he would let me go to school and now..." El trailed off and sighed as I assisted her in packing up her things at her room at the Byers.

She didn't have a lot so it was pretty easy to pack it all up and I was grateful to spend time with her. We needed as much time together as possible and I was grateful for any little bit. I handed El a couple books and she placed them in a box full of other things.

"You'll do great in California, I'm sure of it," I said and she eyed me.

"Yeah, but Mike's not in California," El shot back and I glared at her.

"What happened to 'screw the boys'? Didn't you and Max spent like a day trying to ignore your stupid boyfriends," I shot back and El glared at me.

"Hey, he's not stupid and you get to leave here with your boyfriend," El reminded me and I nodded, awkwardly, forgetting about that part.

"You know, you got me there," I muttered and El chuckled before packing up a few more trinkets.

Once most of her knick knacks were put away, I decided that it was time for a break. El agreed and we headed into the Byers kitchen, running into both Jonathan and Will who were also snacking. I was actually pretty happy about running into Jonathan since I really wanted to talk to Nancy.

There was a part of me that worried things were awkward between the two of us because of Steve and I wanted to make sure. It was just the way that she kept looking at me back at the mall and I knew that with me, Steve actually planned out his future. He never bothered to even look into it when he was with Nancy and even mentioned the fact that she was nothing but a filler. Just a girl that he dated while waiting to see if I'd come back and knowing that can't be easy. I sighed at the thought of having that conversation before walking over to Jonathan.

"Hey, how's packing?" He asked and I shrugged.

"Alright, she's pretty much done. Right, El?"

"Yep, almost," El assured as her and Will made some sandwiches.

Even though they hadn't really interacted in the last few years, it was nice to see El and Will getting along. They acted like true siblings and I even caught Jonathan being all brotherly towards her as well. I always knew that dad liked Joyce and hoped that maybe one day I'd be related to the Byers and now, it was basically coming true. When Joyce signed the papers and legally became El's caretaker she told me that I could think of her as a mother, if I wanted to. I thought it was really sweet since I was now lacking in the mother and father department and took her up on the offer. Sure I still just called her Joyce and not mom but it was nice to have an adult in my life once again. Besides, she'd be good for El and the perfect person to look after her with dad gone.