14: The Silver Cat Feeds

June 30th, 1985

After Steve's deceleration I could barely sleep and didn't stop thinking about it until he woke up for work in the morning. I joined him at Scoops since I had nothing better to do and was sitting behind the counter with Robin. Steve was in the back taking inventory or something like that so that left me with his very intriguing coworker. I already quite liked Robin despite how much she annoyed Steve and knew that having a female friend would be good for me. Nancy was always off being busy with her internship and with Jonathan and El was off in the woods with dad. Dad ended up moving to the summer cabin permanently and he sold the house about a week back. I didn't mind since I was moving in early August and ended up stuffing my things in a storage locker. Since Steve's parents were gone all summer I moved in with him and was quite enjoying a taste of what it was gonna be like to live with him. It was actually quite nice and waking up with him next to me felt like a dream come true.

Well it did...until what he said last light.

Now I kept staring at Steve and trying to ignore the fact that his mind was right there. It would he so easy to read it and see what he was thinking but I promised him long ago I'd never do such a thing. Steve's thoughts were his own and I wasn't about to break the trust we had with each other. Feelings were fine but not thoughts and for the first time in close to ten months, it was getting harder and harder to ignore his mind. So I ended up venting my  frustrations to a very fed up Robin.

"Robin come on...it's important," I pleaded and she sighed.

"I get that, I do, but I also don't want to hear about it," Robin said and I glared at her.

"Why not?!"

"Because...so far...it sounds gross," Robin shot back and cringed.

"How?"

"You legit described it as...'in a moment of passion', do I want to know what that means?" Robin asked and I shrugged.

"Yes...for context," I assured and grinned as she let out a sigh.

"Ugh...fine...shoot."

"Ok so...like i said, he said it just before things got real frisky last night and it took me by surprise. I was distracted the whole time which usually doesn't happen."

"So...what did he say?" Robin asked before I could go into any more detail.

"He said...'I could hear it when I wake up, when I go to bed and every minute in-between. Because I'd marry you Ren, I totally would.'"

"So...the guy that you love beyond belief, that's slaving away to pay for an apartment near Purdue so you can be together, told you that you're practically soulmates and he'll never leave you...and you're mad about it?" Robin asked and I glared at her, knowing that she didn't get my dilemma.

"Not mad...shocked and worried," I muttered and Robin cocked a brow at me.

"About what?"

"That we're moving too fast. It's been nine months and yet he's already talking about forever...that doesn't happen normally," I trailed off and stuffed my head in my hands as Robin rolled her eyes before leaning against the counter.

"Ren, listen, that boy doesn't stop talking about you. I've legit almost punched him for how many hours a day he tells me funny Ren stories," Robin informed and I blushed at the thought of Steve rambling about me. "He goes on and on about how he was devastated you went missing, that he got together with Nancy just to take his mind off you, that having you back was the best day of his life, and so on and so forth. That boy loves you...like really loves you."

I didn't want to tell her about our connection cause that would involve mentioning my powers so I just let out a sigh.

"I guess," I muttered and wandered over to a booth before taking a seat.