11: The Weird Sister

March 7th, 1985

It took the entire night to drive to Chicago and I spent most of it stuck to Steve's side as close as I could get. The guy wasn't that comfy thanks to the zip ties but they eventually cut them off at around 4am. Kali and her gang realized that as long as I was there, Steve wasn't going anywhere. She found it quite cute that I refused to leave his side and kept mentioning how sweet the two us were together. I didn't believe any of her compliments since she tried to kill Steve a couple hours ago and looked as though she'd actually go through with it.

I was still wary of the girl and it only got worse when they pulled up in front of a medical building. It was a very large building and covered in windows which made the morning sun a tad bit blinding. I raised a brow as Kali pulled out a set of blueprints before turning to Steve and I.

"Dr. Coleman works on the fifth floor in a genetic research lab. You need to go there, talk to him and force him to restore your memories."

"And then what?" I inquired and Kali smirked.

"Then you'll be so angry you'll kill regardless of what I'm about to tell you," she shot back with a smirk and I glared daggers.

"I doubt that, I don't kill people," I shot back and Kali chuckled.

"He messed with you head and did something to your memories of out time at the lab. The answers that you've been looking for lie with him and trust me when I say it wasn't pleasant. That man did a lot to a lot of people, you included."

I hated how scared Kali sounded regardless of the fact that she kidnapped Steve and I. It was almost as if she grabbed us so I could be the one to deal with the doctor. There was something more going on with him and my only option was to go in there and find the answers I had been looking for.

"Can I talk to her, quickly?" Steve asked and Kali reluctantly nodded.

She moved back to near the front of the van and Steve shifted so that he was facing me. He grabbed my hands and held on tight so I could feel how nervous he was and hear the scared thoughts running through his head.

"You don't want me to go?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"No, I don't. I don't like this, any of this," he admitted and I nodded.

"I don't either. But I also know that every answer to every question lies inside that building," I informed and Steve sighed. "Besides, I need to know what he did because Kali sounded scared and I don't think that's a good thing."

"If you go in there then I can't go with you," Steve pointed out and I held his hands tighter.

"I know, but for this, I think it's better if I go in there alone. I need to face my own demons and I need to do it without using our connection as a safety net. The key to unlocking my past lies within those walls and I wanna go find it."

Steve sat there and thought for a second before letting out a sigh and pulling me in for a tight kiss. I wrapped my arms around him and willed all my confidence into him and kept it up until the worry had faded. Steve was just as certain as I was that it would turn out great and that's all I wanted. I sighed and turned to Kali before reaching towards the door to the van.

"I'll do it," I told her and she nodded as I got out.

I shut the van and brushed off my jeans before letting out a loud sigh and heading towards the building. It was even bigger up close and I stepped through the sliding doors before walking over to the lone receptionist. She raised a brow as I walked over and stood in front of the desk, my hands deep in my pockets.

"Can I help you?"

"I'm looking for Dr. Coleman."

"Do you have an appointment?"