19: I'll Always Love You

Set in Steve's POV.

July 4th, 1985

Steve Harrington

Everything started to happen all at once and I found myself scrambling to get someone to help Ren. A paramedic eventually ran over and knelt next to her, a confused look on her face.

"Did you say she got shot?" She asked and I nodded. "With what?"

"An assault rifle."

"Damn. How long ago?"

"Maybe four hours give or take. It's all been a bit of a blur," I muttered and she nodded before calling over a couple other paramedics.

They dealt with Ren while she turned to me, eyeing my still swollen eye.

"What's your relation?"

"Uh...fiancé."

"Good, you can ride with her. That eye will have to get treated, we can do it there."

"Which hospital are you taking her to?"

"Lafayette Memorial, it's big enough."

"I'll tell her sister, when are we leaving?" I asked and she glanced back at her coworkers who had just made it with a backboard.

"Couple minutes, we'll wait for you," she assured and I nodded in thanks before bolting over to Joyce and El.

"Steve? What happened?" Joyce inquired.

"Ren got shot when we got caught, she just collapsed. They're taking her to Lafayette Memorial and I'm gonna ride with them, make sure everything's alright," I informed and Joyce nodded before I turned to El. "You need to stay with Joyce, she'll keep you safe. There are two many police wandering around and it's not safe, okay?"

"What about Ren?" El asked and glanced back at her sister.

"I'll keep her safe and I'll let you know how she's doing when I know more...ok?"

El nodded and Joyce wrapped around an arm around her. I smiled at the two of them before running back over to Ren who had been loaded into an ambulance. I hopped in and took a seat, grabbing her hand squeezing it. I sighed at the fact that it felt weird and not like a spark from her powers. There had to be something wrong with them and I remember something happening to El as well. It had to do with the gate and probably the reason why Ren wasn't all that conscious at the moment. The paramedic from before hopped in the back before the ambulance sped out of parking lot. She lifted up Ren's shirt and cringed at the amount of bruising and blood on her torso.

"Severe internal bleeding based on the bruising, that's probably what caused her to faint. I let them know that we have a GSW en route so they'll likely put her in surgery as soon as we arrive," she informed and I nodded. "Now...about you."

The paramedic turned and pulled out a kit before wiping my bloodied brow bone. I cringed as she got rid of most of the blood before stuffing some bandages on the few cuts I had. She then felt around the eye and I cursed when she hit the same brow bone I broke last year.

"I broke that bone last year," I muttered and the paramedic nodded before handing me an ice pack.

"Same story this time it looks like. They'll probably do something about it," she said and I sighed.

"Last year they put in a couple plates to keep it together."

"They were probably damaged, I'll get them to look into it," she said and I nodded in thanks before sitting back.

The ambulance didn't take long to reach Lafayette Memorial and I hopped out as they got Ren out. She was still unconscious and was wheeled past me before I even got a chance to say goodbye. I was dragged off to be x-rayed and waited until a doctor walked out, a happy look on his face.