10: Deadly First Dates

March 6th, 1985

It took Steve a long time to figure out what he was calling 'the perfect first date'. I tried calling our hangouts whether in my room or at his house date nights but he would shut it down, claim it didn't count. Jonathan and Nancy had also been asking for weeks to go on a double date to the drive in and Steve kept shutting them down before I could say yes. He was determined to get it perfect and finally on our four month anniversary he claimed he'd perfected it.

I frankly had no idea how our relationship could get any better considering we had almost every class together, spent our afternoons hanging out unless he had basketball practice and were generally just vibing. My favourite part of our relationship happened about a week back when I was hanging with him at his house. We were sitting in the basement and Steve was tapping a beat on his bio textbook while I finished off an AP English essay. It took me a second to realize what happened and when I did it made me smile.

"Hey Steve," I had called and he glanced at me, grinning.

I nodded at my feet and sure enough they were resting in his lap almost subconsciously. I had been using my own textbook as a lap table and writing up a storm while he studied. We had been in almost perfect silence for close to two hours and neither of us cared, we just enjoyed the closeness.

"Huh, I wondered why I felt so good," he said with a smirk and I rolled my eyes.

"It's not just that, we were completely silent for like two hours and we didn't even care."

"No we didn't. But I liked it, I just like being near you and catching you smiling out of the corner of my eye. I spent like seven years waiting for you and now that you're back...it's amazing."

I pulled my feet out of his lap and crossed my legs before scooting closer to him. Steve placed his book on the table before shifting towards me and grabbing onto my hands. We stared at each other for a solid minute before I leaned forward and wrapped him in a hug, breathing out a sigh of happiness.

"I love you," I said and could feel him laugh since his chest moved.

"I know, I love you to."

I leaned back and grinned before giving him a kiss, Steve resting a hand underneath my chin to bring us closer. The kiss was sweet yet sensual and my favourite kind, one of those real passionate ones that make you feel so giddy inside.

"I gotta finish my essay," I told him and Steve glanced at his textbook.

"And I gotta study."

We pulled apart and I rested my feet in his lap before going back to writing. We were once again stuffed in a comfortable silence that frankly said everything we wanted to say. Just getting the chance to sit and do nothing but enjoy the presence of another person was a dream come true. And that dream got even sweeter when I got a call on my personal phone downstairs.

"Hello?" I inquired, already knowing that it had to be Steve.

"M'lady, how are you?" He asked and I rolled my eyes.

"I'm good. Are you stopping by?" I inquired and could just picture the grin on his face when he didn't say anything right away. "Steve..."

"How would you like to go on a date with me?"

"What? You finally figured it out?"

"I did. And it's absolutely perfect and I can't wait for you fall in love with me all over again," he said and I grinned like a little kid.

"I can guarantee you that I will," I assured.

"Good. I'll be there at 5."

"Should I dress up?"