20. the world class volleyball player and the hot med student

narrator's pov.

the streets of tokyo weren't too quiet on a sunday night. you would think that they wouldn't be as bustling as saturdays with monday closing in on everyone, but a weekend is a weekend.

you had been taking a walk, which might not have been the safest decision alone, but it was helping to clear your head.

you and keiji - what the fuck was going on with that?

he says he likes waking up with you, he makes breakfast for you, he comes over to comfort you, and you're not exclusive?

you thought maybe he was just being defensive, he didn't want to jump to conclusions and say that you were sort of in a relationship if you didn't feel the same.

but that's wasn't how you knew keiji to be. you didn't know what to think, it had been a long time since you lost touch and people change.

soon you found yourself approaching a glass door. a bar.

you had school the next day, it wasn't a good idea - but you had been entertaining worse ideas than having a drink all day, so why not?

you pushed open the door and found a seat at the bar. this place wasn't too busy.

"y/n?" a voice called from a couple seats down the bar, the seats between the two of you empty.

you turned your head and smiled, "sakusa, we meet again."

"how are you?" he asked hesitantly.

"i assume you've seen the news?" you breathed out a small laugh, moving a seat closer.

he nodded, "miya. good for you."

"you're funny," you rolled your eyes.

"i know," he took a sip from his glass with a sly smirk. "i wasn't expecting to see you out any time soon."

"figured i should do something before losing my freedom."

"losing your freedom, huh?"

"med school," you shook your head, "y'know, i wasn't expecting to see you in public like, ever, let alone drinking out of a glass that strangers have drunken out of."

"i guess we're both full of surprises," he remarked. then he pulled a slightly disgusted face, mumbling a, "fuck why would you say that? now that's all i'm thinking of."

"you're welcome," you snarked. " don't worry, i'm sure this place cleans their glasses right. they seem expensive."

kiyoomi stared into his glass as if looking for anything wrong with it, "how about you let me buy you a drink?

you stared at him, surprised.

he shrugged, "you know, the kind that comes in these old glasses that strangers have had their mouths over."

"sure," you smiled faintly, settling your head down into your propped up hand. "pick something good for me? i don't really drink."

"hm," he replied intriguely, turning to the bartender that was just coming back around his way from serving a different customer.

you set your eyes off to the side, mostly admiring things framed up on the wall and trying to make out what some of the words said. kiyoomi watched as the bartender made up your drink.

"what're you looking at?" kiyoomi asked, pushing the glass over to you.

"that picture looks familiar," you squinted.

"what about it?"

you looked back to him, "the guys i think."

"is that right?"

you stared down at your drink and back at him, "should i know them?"

"i certainly hope you would," he sipped from his glass cautiously. he was still thinking about the stranger's that had had a drink out of it before him.

you gasped quietly, "wait is that your team? shit, my eyesight is so bad!"

he stared at you amusedly, not saying a word.

"what are you looking at me for?" you laughed.

"what? you're speaking," he said.

"and?"

"didn't your parents teach you to pay attention to people when they speak?"

you picked up your glass, "oh, you're right. in that case, i feel like i'm speaking too much. i mean i haven't even had a drink."

you took a somewhat big gulp in attempt to shut you up, it tasted exactly how it looked, "good."

"good?" he chuckled.

"very," you replied. he had gotten you a margarita in an old-fashioned short glass.

kiyoomi liked to stick with the classics.

he turned back to his own glass, "good."

"you seem happy today," you remarked. "you're smiling a lot more."

"i'm always smiling, you just don't see it."

"your smile is cute," you pointed out.

"you're cute," he said.

you were surprised. of all people to say something like that, kiyoomi would be the last person you'd expect.

no, it wasn't him asking for your hand in marriage, but it was a compliment. sakusa kiyoomi didn't do compliments.

"how much did you drink?" you asked with the biggest grin on your face.

he downed the rest of the glass, "much."

kiyoomi moved down a seat to be closer to you.

"you are fascinating," you told him.

"you too?"

you stared up at the clock in the middle of the bar, "when are you heading home?"

"why? do you wanna come with me?"

"you're a flirty drunk."

"i'm not drunk," he objected.

"then why're you trying to get me to come home with you?"

"you're fun."

"i'm one of most boring people you'll ever meet, sakusa."

he rolled his eyes, "i am the most boring person you'll ever meet."

"you're a world class volleyball player, and one of, if not the most, attractive one at that. you're not boring," you said.

"you're a hot med student all over the news for a sex scandal with your famous best friend," he argued. "i don't think you're all that boring either."

author's note - unedited
i love cats