27. a real date?

narrator's pov.

you were at a celebrity's event once again, and as always, you were partnered with atsumu.

it was a mystery how he hadn't gotten a girlfriend to accompany him to these places, especially after... how many years in the public eye?

however, this time with atsumu, you walked in with a strong sense of self and you were sure that this charity bid function was nothing more than just that.

no sakusa. no drama.

"miya atsumu! l/n y/n! how amazing to see you two here tonight," one of the interviewers approached you.

atsumu flashed his infamously charming smile and leaned closer to the microphone, "wouldn't miss it for the world! we have our bidding signs already, and we're excited to support these great charities."

"you know what? if i were bidding on anything tonight, i'd spend all my money to know what's going on between you and sakusa kiyoomi," the interviewer laughed. "is there any possibility we might see a bit of that tonight?"

"oh! good one," you laughed back passive-aggressively.

"yes, we'd better get going, don't want to miss the opening," atsumu's smile dropped slightly. "thank you for your time."

of course, this wasn't going to stop the pushy interviewer, who you had quickly realised was from japan's weekly gossip magazine. "come on, y/n, don't you owe it to the fans?"

"he said thank you for your time," you smiled, walking away.

you didn't owe anyone shit.

"don't get me wrong, i love this charity but the founder looooves the sound of his own voice," osamu slurred.

you sighed, "why are you always drinking too much, 'samu?"

"no one even loves me," he frowned.
then he suddenly perked up, "wait did he just say six slice toaster? $3000!!!"

you scoffed, turning to atsumu, "what do you possibly need a six slice toaster for?"

"SIX SLICE TOASTER? $4000!"

"okay..." you furrowed your eyebrows in confusion, before you felt your phone go off in your lap.

xxx-xxx-xxx

why aren't you bidding on a six slice toaster?

who's this

did you delete my number?

who is this

sakusa

yeah i did

why?
are you mad at me?
seen

y/n are you mad at me
seen

i don't wanna talk about it

we're talking about it

we're not
stop messaging

why

my phone is vibrating

?

it's loud and distracting

you're loud and distracting

it's annoying

don't make it weird

can we talk about it

no

why not

if i told you why not, it'd mean
we were talking about it

there's nothing wrong with talking

stop being pushy

btw i don't have thousands to
pay for a six slice toaster.

"why don't you wanna talk to me?"

you were startled. kiyoomi had snuck up behind you and leaned down next to your head.

"sakusa, you don't seem to know how to take no for an answer."

he shrugged, "i'm confused, i don't like it."

"poor you," you rolled your eyes, settling your glass onto your table.

he looked at you and whispered, "you were all over me a couple weeks ago and now you don't even want to see me, why are you being weird?"

you scoffed and stood up, sneaking out to the foyer and pulling him along behind you. luckily, you were at one of the back tables, and the twins were too distracted with the six-slice toaster to care about what you were doing.

"can you quit it?" you dropped his arm aggressively.

he furrowed his brows seriously, "quit... what? you're the one avoiding me."

"my life doesn't revolve around you."

"i know that," he told you condescendingly. "why won't you talk to me?"

you exhaled quickly, smiling in disbelief, "why do you expect me to talk to you? we're not even friends, sakusa. every interaction we have is when you've been drinking or when we both happen to be with atsumu."

"i haven't been drinking and we're not with atsumu now," he rebutted.

"you're responding to one part of my argument."

he shrugged, "i thought it was the most important part."

he was so infuriatingly clueless. you went straight to the point.

"sakusa, you told me you were into me then said you care more about career so you won't publicly be seen with me."

he sighed, "you haven't talked to me in over a month. i don't care about the PR team or the public i just want you to talk to me again."

"oh please," you rolled your eyes. "are you trying to get me to go home with you or something?"

"i'm serious," he said.

"so what do you want then? do you want to be friends?"

"i don't know, i want you back."

"i don't want to go back to how it was between us. i don't know how to trust you like that."

"i'll take you out," he shoved his hands in his pockets nervously, "on a date."

you narrowed your eyes, "a real date? not fucking?"

he nodded.

"can i choose where?"

he looked around with his eyes before landing back on you, "sure."

you thought about it, trying to understand if his intentions were right. then you decided you don't care.

"yeah, okay."