chapter 8

Chapter 8: New Prophecy

PERCY POV

Darkness surrounded me. Unbearable darkness. 'If someone asked for a picture of my heart before the Hunt and training, this would be what I showed them,' I mused to myself as the darkness began to swirl and change.

I was back in Tartarus. Annabeth and I had just landed next to the Styx again. I relived the entire experience, from the battles to the House of Night to leaving Bob and Damasen to fend for themselves and close the Doors of Death. I dreaded every second of it. It was continuously burned into my mind most nights, but watching it from the outside perspective helped me realize just how terrible it was.

Then the image shifted. I was standing in a forest clearing and my blood froze. Littered throughout the clearing, were the hunters. Some battered beyond recognition, but all discernable from the silver apparel. A lump formed in my throat and I took a step backward. *CRUNCH*. I slowly turned around to see the bow I had stepped on in the hands of Thalia.

I choked down a sob at the sight. Behind my cousin and best friend's corpse. Lora had her neck snapped and her leg had been severed from her body with the ax that I had gifted her. Next to her was Jessica, Kiani, Leah, and Rebecca. Limbs all tangled and protruding at awkward angles. No signs of life in any of their eyes.

I heard crying and my head whipped around. "Brother," Estelle whispered and I ran to her side, but I couldn't speak. I just dropped to my knees, ethereal hands desperate to grasp her fading form. "Why d-did you leave us?" I sobbed so hard that I didn't recognize the scene shift again until the voice of The Pit spoke to me.

"No one escapes me demigod. You should have stayed away. Now I'm going to rip apart everything you hold dear in this world. And after I'm done, I will drag you to Olympus in chains so you can watch as I kill your precious gods one by one." He finished the last part with the humorless laugh of evil incarnate. "This is what awaits you Jackson. This IS YOUR FATE!"

The darkness slowly faded as I came back to consciousness. I was utterly terrified. My dream made Tartarus look like a vacation resort.

3RD PERSON POV

Percy's eyes fluttered open as he gasped awake. Estelle was still laying on his chest and stirred in her sleep. Percy smiled softly at his little sister, but it was quickly replaced with fear and worry after what he had dreamed. He drew a shaky breath and observed his surroundings. Thalia was asleep in a chair at the bedside with her arms folded and snoring lightly.

Just as he was about to attempt to sit up, Artemis came into the tent with her head down and her brows furrowed in concentration. Percy didn't move or say anything, just observing as she heaved a big sigh. 'I wonder what has Artemis so down,' but he broke out of these thoughts as she looked up at him and went wide-eyed.

"Uh, hey," he said to her. "PERCY!" she yelled, making Estelle and Thalia bolt straight up. Thalia rushed to crush him and Estelle into a hug and Estelle started crying again. Though this time they were tears of relief that her brother was okay. Percy hugged Thalia back briefly before comforting Estelle and apologizing repeatedly.

"Is the Hunt okay? Did you kill Echidna?" Percy asked quickly to receive numb nods from Artemis and Thalia. "The Hunt is fine, but Echidna got away," Artemis told him bitterly making Percy look down in frustration. "Worry about yourself. You've been out for 4 days. Everyone has been worried, though they might just be missing your food." Artemis added the last part trying to lighten the mood.

"4 DAYS?!" Percy exclaimed, snapping his head up that resulted in a head rush. He grimaced at the pain and Thalia offered him some nectar. He thanked her quietly and took a long gulp. "What now?" Percy asked looking at Artemis.