Chapter 27

Chapter 27: Aftermath

3RD PERSON POV

Artemis returned to the camp after Percy was stabilized in Apollo's temple to assess the damages. The campers and the hunters had both lost too many and the entire day after the battle was dedicated to the shroud burnings. With so many bodies piled up, there was no shortage of tears from all present. What was left of the Hunt was then flashed to Apollo's temple to see their Guardian and let the campers mourn.

Once they appeared outside of the temple, Apollo greeted them and took them to the medical wing where Percy was resting. He still hadn't woken up yet, but had no shortage of visitors. Hera and Hestia were a crying mess and both refused to leave their son's and champion's side respectively. Poseidon had to tend to his domain, but checked up on his son regularly.

Estelle was a crying mess seeing her brother was his arm missing and hooked up to so many machines. She ran to her mother and buried her face in the crook of Hera's neck as she cried herself to sleep. The rest of the little ones weren't much better, crying at Percy's side. Thalia stood at Artemis' side, both with tears in their eyes as they gazed on Percy's unmoving form.

"He's so relaxed," Thalia whispered and Artemis smiled softly. "Things are going to change around here," Artemis whispered back, causing Thalia to look at her questionly. Artemis took a deep breath and said, "He told me that he fell for me." Thalia's eyes widened and Hestia smiled at the interaction knowingly. Thalia let out a small chuckle. "Only the Kelp-Head," she said and Artemis smiled as well.

"He may be the only exception and I will follow you until I join my sisters in Elysium, Milady. But you're going to have some explaining to do to the others," Thalia said quietly and Artemis nodded. "Just make sure this is what you want," she said finally and Artemis steeled herself. "I want to see where it will go, but any sign of him turning into something I can't tolerate and he will be added to the jackalope population," Artemis said and Thalia chuckled again.

The Hunt cleared out of his room and went to Artemis' temple to rest while they awaited their Guardian's recovery. Artemis found herself in Apollo's living room again, looking at the pictures that covered the walls. "He'll be fine. Just needs his rest," Apollo said from behind her and she turned around and offered him a smile and a nod. "What is it like? Being a parent? I know the hunters are like surrogate daughters, but they're still not my children," Artemis asked and Apollo was caught off guard by the question.

He joined Artemis in front of the pictures and stayed quiet for a moment. "It's rewarding and heartbreaking all at once. I feel so much pride and love for all of them for the most minor things they do... yet I have missed so many of those moments and outlived all of them... it breaks my heart," he said softly and Artemis nodded.

"I forgive you Artemis," Apollo said suddenly after another long silence. Artemis turned to him rapidly and went wide-eyed with unshed tears. "It hurt... it still hurts... but I've seen the changes in your demeanor from your time with Percy. I-I don't want to put you through that and I want my sister back. The one from Delos," he said softly and the two twins embraced with water works.

"I love you, Little Brother," Artemis whispered into his chest and Apollo smiled softly as the tears fell. They pulled away and wiped their eyes and chuckled at how Artemis was crying and hugging her brother. "Percy has changed us so much in such a short amount of time... no wonder you fell for him," Apollo said and Artemis stiffened, much to Apollo's amusement.

"God of Truth, remember?" he said and Artemis playfully slapped his arm. "You're not mad?" she asked and he smiled and shook his head. "He's the only one it ever could have been. I just don't know if I should keep calling him cousin or brother now," Apollo said with a wink and Artemis blushed heavily. "He hasn't even taken me on a proper date yet," Artemis huffed and turned red in embarrassment again for acting like a child of Aphrodite and Apollo laughed loudly.