Chapter 17

Chapter 17: I Miss You

THALIA POV

It had been three days since the attack that resulted in Percy's capture and I was still a wreck. My eyes were bloodshot and puffy from crying, I hadn't eaten much, and sleep escaped me. I took it upon myself to make sure that the little ones took care of themselves. They refused to leave each others' sides, not that it was much different before, but I even had to set their tent up so all six of them could sleep together. If you walked by their tent at night, you could hear the faint sobs and sniffles.

Artemis didn't seem to be doing much better than me, which was bizarre. She and Percy had certainly become friends over the nine months since his position as Guardian, but I didn't expect her to be so distraught. 'I'll have to talk to her about it later,' I thought as we arrived at CHB.

Chiron ran up and approached us, "Welcome, Lady Artemis. It's always an honor to have you," he said and glanced around the blank faces of the Hunt. "Milady, where is your Guardian?" he asked and Estelle and the little ones couldn't hold back their tears. They all ran to Artemis' legs and hugged her fiercely. That's another thing I've noticed; Artemis has been spending more time in her 18-year-old form. Never when we're hunting, but every other time she is.

I noticed Artemis crouch down to hug them and the tears were threatening her eyes as well. I looked at Chiron and shook my head sadly. He seemed to age another thousand years. "Right, well. Get settled in and we'll call a meeting," he said and I nodded and thanked him.

3RD PERSON POV

The immortals of the camp sat down at the ping pong table along with the head counsellors, Thalia, and Lady Artemis herself. Chiron sat at the head of the table. Before he could begin the meeting, Annabeth interrupted. "Where's your Guardian?" she asked and Thalia visibly flinched at the lack of use of his name.

"He's in Tartarus," Artemis said quietly, not looking at any of them. "WHAT?!" everyone yelled. Everyone but Annabeth. Annabeth had tears in her eyes and her hand covering her mouth, shaking her head. Thalia just looked at her and nodded, then the tears flowed freely. "How?" Jason croaked, and the two hunters recounted the ambush.

"Okay, so what's the plan? How are we going to get him back?" Leo asked this time, albeit shakily. "We're not. We've been ordered to stay at camp for the Hunt's safety and to boost your defences in case they attack here again," Artemis said and everyone was outraged. "What the fuck do you mean we're not going to get him?" Nico, who Thalia sent word to immediately after she recovered, said in a steeled tone.

"Apollo said he'd get out on his own. So we'll wait and have faith in him until then. And be ready for any attacks," Artemis said, though she sounded like she was still trying to convince herself. Annabeth was shaking with rage at this point and the unexpected happened.

*SMACK*! Annabeth slapped Artemis and left a handprint on her cheek. "This is all your fault. If you had been better prepared and took care of your hunters like you're supposed to, he wouldn't be back in FUCKING TARTARUS!" Annabeth voiced, the volume getting louder with each word. Nobody moved or made a sound.

"My fault? I wasn't the one to break his heart and set him on the path to becoming Guardian of the Hunt. That was you. You pushed him away. Don't let your pride make you forget that," Artemis' voice was the same cold and emotionless tone that Percy so often used, it sent goosebumps throughout everyone in the room.

Artemis turned to leave and spoke one last time, "I will overlook this incident Annabeth Chase. For I know what you meant to my friend. But speak out of line or touch me again, and I won't hesitate." Thalia offered a sad smile to everyone in the room before also disappearing. There was a long awkward silence until Leo tried to lighten the mood, "Lady Artemis, the biggest man-hater of all time, called Percy her friend. What can't the guy do?"