Chapter 15

Chapter 15: Semblance of Normality

3RD PERSON POV

For five days, Percy stayed by Diana's bedside as she recovered. He'd gone for a brief hour or two to check on the Hunt in Artemis' temple and they were all worried for their mistress, but recovering well nonetheless. Estelle and the little ones insisted that he tuck them in every night, so he happily obliged.

Diana was stable according to Apollo, but had yet to awaken, so at her side Percy sat. Thalia and the other hunters came to visit here and there, but Thalia mainly wrangled them into her palace. Apollo and Percy talked a little bit about things: music, traveling with the Hunt, and Apollo's issues were the prominent three.

DIANA/ARTEMIS POV

I groggily woke up to the blinding light of my brother's temple and was immediately confused. Then the events of the battle came back to me and I couldn't help but quietly sob. 'Phoebe and the others,' I thought as I cried. After a few brief minutes of weakness, I gathered myself and looked around. Percy was asleep in the seat to my left. A small pool of drool had gathered on his shirt and I giggled quietly. He looked so peaceful when he was asleep.

My giggling must have woken him up, because he stirred and looked up at me. "Lady Diana. It's nice to finally meet you, though I wish the circumstances were better," he said to me and I smiled. "Perseus. I agree, I believe our meeting was long overdue," I said and he chuckled. "Same rule for you: when we're alone call me Percy," he said and I nodded before shifting back into Artemis.

"How long have you been here?" I asked him and noticed a faint blush on his cheeks as he rubbed his neck sheepishly. "He's been here everyday for the last five days. He only left to check on the Hunt and tuck in the little ones," Apollo said as he walked in and my head snapped to him, but it induced a headache. "Here, Sis," he said as he handed me a glass of nectar. 'Percy's been here everyday?' I thought and couldn't fight the warmth that brought me.

"The Hunt will await your return to your temple, Milady. I believe you two should talk," Percy said with a half-bow and a smirk, earning a confused look from me and a scowl from Apollo. He then flashed out. "Ungrateful, little smarass," Apollo muttered under his breath. "Apollo, what is he talking about?" I asked, confused.

I narrowed my eyes when I got no answer and said, "If this has something to do with my hunters, I'll shoot an arrow right where you don't shine." He laughed. Not his normal laugh, no. This was completely humorless, like how Percy does when he's in warrior-mode. "Of course you would assume that I would do something to hurt or mess with their maidenhood. That's all you expect from men," he said bitterly.

He worked around my bedside as he talked and I looked into his eyes. They held none of the former mirth or playfulness that they used to. They were dulled and for the first time in our immortal lives, Apollo looked like he actually had lived for several millennia. 'Tired,' I thought.

"What happened to us Arty? We used to be so close. Hunting and playing on Delos with Mother. We were inseparable," he said with sadness and longing laced in his voice. "Don't call me that," I growled, though not nearly as hostile as I used to. "Answer the question," he said firmly like he does when dealing with patients.

"What do you mean? We came to Olympus and you became like every other male out there. Greedy, arrogant, sex driven pigs that prey on females," I spat. Again, the humorless laugh that gave me chills. "When we came to Olympus, huh?" he said. "And tell me Artemis: when we came here, I mean first came here, how many men pursued you?"

"Countless. All of you are the same," I said and he replied back, "And you beat them ALL off ALL on your own?" I hesitated for a moment, "Yes." He shook his head again. "Look Artemis," he began and I thought 'He only calls me by my name when he's serious.' "Do you know what my domains are?" I rolled my eyes at the question. "Yes, Apollo. Of course I do," I said for him to continue, "And do you know what the domains of Prophecy and Truth entail?" I scoffed. "Yes, Apollo. I'm not a dimwit like you," I said and he tensed. Unshed tears were present in his eyes and I froze.