nineteen

F L O R E N C E

When we get to the hockey arena I'm immediately hit with the chilled air that smells like a mix of chemicals and old worn-out skates.

Emilio has me tucked into his side supporting me while we walk. Massimo leaves us to buy snacks while Lucien buys us our seat tickets.

"When Dominic took you skating did you have fun?" Emilio asks, looking down at me.

"It was cold, and scary." I whisper, my voice still raspy. He hands me the water they brought for me with a wide smile.

"So you didn't like it?" I can practically hear the big smile on his face just by the ecstatic tone in his voice.

"No I did. It was just scary y'know?"

"Oh yeah trust me Flo, I am probably the only person besides you in this family who does not care for the ice. Trust me, I love skating and playing hockey, but the blades on the skates make me worried you know? They are awfully sharp."

"Yeah I get it." I lean my head against his chest after we find seats in the lobby of the arena.

"Do you want to know a fun fact?" He asks me. I love facts, especially if they are fun. So I rapidly nod my head and turn to face him. "You know Tim Hortons?"

"Yeah," I lightly scoff. "Who doesn't?"

"Well it was founded by Tim Horton a player on the Canadian Maple Leafs. He died soon after in a car accident in 1974."

"I thought Tim Horton died from a freak skating accident during a game?"

"What? Where did you hear that?"

I have to think back to who said that. It takes me a moment of thinking before I recall the memory. "It was in grade three, one of the boys in my class made the comment. We were making Christmas decorations for the class."

"Did this little shit tell you this in full confidence?" He laughs, clearly amused that I was fooled into thinking Tim Horton died by getting his neck slashed by a skate since I was nine years old.

"Yeah I'm pretty sure."

"Kids just make up the most random shit. One time you told me when you were four, that the sky is blue because the yellow from the sun and the blue from the sky is what makes the trees green."

"Really? Where did I learn that?" I laugh.

"You were painting with Dominic that afternoon. I guess he took it upon himself to teach you the primary and secondary colours." I snort hearing this and he chuckles as well.

"Dominic would've been what? Twelve?" I laugh but then cut myself off with a dry and brutal cough. Emilio holds up the water for me. The cool liquid eases my throat.

"Yes, he liked messing with you and Lucien at the time."

"What a jerk." I mumble. I like hearing stories about before. It makes me feel closer to my brothers.

"Tell me about it." He scoffs.

Massimo walks up to us with two buckets of popcorn and a red and blue slushy. Lucien is behind him holding three coca colas.

"Here Florence, this might help to soothe your throat." Massimo hands me the drink. Deciding to save it, I put it in the drink tray Lucien has.

"When does the game start?"

"Any minute now." Massimo looks at his watch. Emilio helps me stand up slowly. It isn't until I am fully straight up do I feel like I might pass out. Steadying me he proceeds to pick me up. The whole room is spinning, my ears also feel fuzzy.