epilogue

F L O R E N C E
-
6 months later

Bucky and I take a small walk up and down our very long driveway. The ground is covered in damp mud, sticks, and stones making the path very bumpy and tricky to walk on. We are surrounded by a thick forest. I can't see the sky because the trees shade me from the sun. Only small beams of sunlight peer through the thick forest top. Birds chirp songs and insects buzz around me but are hidden from my view. A month ago we had a raccoon problem. They seem to have moved on though.

As we slowly trudge back down the long unpaved path a squirrel catches Bucky's eye. He bolts into the forest and foolishly tries to climb and scratch the tree the squirrel scurried up. He barks and barks and barks. While he entertains himself with the squirrel scaled high up in the tree I busy myself by collecting a few flowers from the batch of fireweeds we have growing a little ways off our cottage's driveway. They are edible flowers that I like to add to my salads for lunch and when I dry them out, my tea as well. My brothers don't like them but they add a purple pop to my green salad and a flowery taste to my herbal teas.

"Bucky c'mon! The squirrel doesn't want to play." I wave Bucky back over to me after I collected enough stems. He trots over to me and gives my ankle a kiss.

As we near our cottage on the lake I can't help but let a smile stretch across my face. We bought the cottage three months ago and moved our summer stuff in two months ago. As soon as I finished school for the summer we were finally able to go down to the cottage for our summer on the lake.

It has been a dream. My dream.

I wave to Lucien and Dominic as I walk past them. They are playing volleyball at our net. They wave back, asking me if I want to play with them. Politely declining their offer I wipe Bucky's paws and swing the front door open.

When you first enter the house you step into the front room that we decided would be one big mud room. A dozen or more pairs of shoes lay messily on their side or upside down, not a single shoe placed properly. I kick off my slides and go down the small hallway that has two doors; the left is the pantry and the right is the steps down to the basement where Massimo, Emilio, and Dominic sleep. When you get to the end of the hallway the space opens up to the floor to ceiling windows and an open concept kitchen, dining room, and family room.

Emilio's cooking in the kitchen and from the looks of it he's making baked potatoes. I set the bundle of firewood flowers in a jar. This catches his attention.

"Good walk?" He asks me wiping his hands with a wash cloth.

"Yeah," I nod showing him my purple flowers. "I got more fireweed!"

He chuckles. "I don't know how you like that stuff. Do you want me to put some in your salad?" I rapidly nod my head. "Alright, dinner will be a while, are you going to play with the boys outside?"

"No, I want to do some research. I'll be outside though."

"Alright baby," he kisses my forehead. "Now get out of my kitchen." He kicks me out. I laugh but leave not wanting to disturb him any further. My room is on the first floor, same as Lucien's. Our rooms are beside each other. My room is small but homey. I have a bed, a small dresser, and a window that looks out to the front of the house, right where the boys are playing volleyball.

I watch their game for a moment and cringe when the ball bounces off Massimo's Jeep. I look away not wanting to be a witness. I grab my notebook, magnifying glass, and pencil off the top of my dresser.