thirty-five

M A S S I M O

Florence is coming home from the hospital today.

It's been exactly two weeks since her surgery. Physically she's healing fine. She's able to walk up and down the hospital hallways with little to no assistance from the nurses. She doesn't cry anymore when she walks. The nurses consider this an accomplishment. But every time she takes these laps in the hallways and she gets praise for it, I can just see this look in her eye that makes me want to just hug her until I die.

So physically she's healing, but mentally she's struggling. We have her therapist, Juliette, coming into the hospital for two hours everyday. Some days Florence will speak to her, other days they sit in silence.

It scares me that she's silent some days. I tried telling Juliette my concerns that she's reverting back to her old ways, but she told me that healing isn't linear. Which is true, but so goddamn unfair.

Today is one of those days. Although it is her last day in the hospital she hasn't said much of anything since last night. She told me that she loved me before she fell asleep. She was happy yesterday and super excited to leave the next day.

It's just me and Lucien with her today. Lucien sits next to her bed watching the show that I put on for Florence. I pack up all of her stuff for the new house, which she will see for the first time today. We have a surprise waiting for her at the house. Technically two.

After folding the last blanket and packing it into her lilac purple suitcase I finally take a moment to breath. I sit down and study Florence. Her eyes stare unblinking at the TV, she absorbs every second of the show. She's holding Lucien's hand as they watch, twirling his rings unconsciously. Her cheeks look fuller, her cheekbones no longer protruding out from her skin.

She's so adorable. If she let me, I would squish her in a big hug and not let go. But today is not one of those days and I don't want to spend another minute in this damn hospital room. I want to bring my baby sister home to our fresh start.

Me and Lucien are broken out of our daze when one of the nurses walks into the room with a joyful smile on her face. She greets both of us before she makes her way to Flo's bed.

"Hello Florence," she greets Florence softly catching my sisters off guard. She was so lost in the show she was watching she didn't even see the nurse walk in. Florence gives her a shy smile. "You're going home now, I'm just going to unhook your IV and then you can go home with your brother and father."

Lucien snickers and as I am about to correct the nurse, I see Florence's whole facial expression change. Her lips lift into a smile, and I ultimately decide not to say anything. A smile on her face is my goal and I will do whatever it takes to keep it there. Funny thing is, the comment makes me smile too. I am not sure why but it makes me feel better. Like the tension in every muscle of my body relaxes at once.

The nurse then turns to me, "Florence is going to need a lot of support, physical therapy is a must. But, she's come a long way in these last few weeks. Get her to walk at least twice everyday. Do you have her pain management medicine?"

"Yes ma'am." I nod.

"Perfect!" She exclaims as she finishes fiddling with Florence's IV. "My dear, you are all good to go, I wish you and your family the best."

"Thank you so much," I speak up for Florence. The nurse waves it off as she leaves the room.

"Alright my baby," I say. "Let's get you home."

"Dominic and Emilio are at the new house." Lucien mentions with a wink. Florence gives us both a tired smile. Lucien walks around the bed grabbing all of Florence's bags. "I'll bring these down, warm up the car, and bring it around to the pick up area."