CHAPTER FOURTEEN: cherry wine

CW: Aftermath of sexual assault and PTSD, gun violence, toxic relationship dynamics

CW: Aftermath of sexual assault and PTSD, gun violence, toxic relationship dynamics. No smut in this one. There's a lot of angst. Sorry.

TAMMS CORRECTIONAL CENTER, ILLINOIS

Solitary confinement produces high feelings of anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, and psychosis in prisoners who are forced to endure it. It also causes vision loss because the human eye needs variation and distance in order to maintain muscle capacity and control. Prisoners also suffer fractures from pounding on the walls, loss of time, an inverted circadian rhythm, and chronic pain from lack of comfortable bedding and the lack of space to move and stretch.

His lawyer told him all of that.

He also told Pierce to stay the hell out of there if he could; that bouts in solitary were indeterminate, even though state law dictates that inmates can only be kept in solitary for 15 days, or it's considered torture.

Pierce knew all of this, and he still couldn't fucking keep himself out of here.

Some people say if you're here, you deserve to be here, but Pierce has come to believe that this is a far worse hell than he could have ever anticipated.

They put him in here to "protect him" - the guard's words, not his. They found out about his phone call to Bucky, but they didn't record it. The software was "glitching" - aka, Pierce paid one of the janitors to sneak into the guard's office and delete the recording, but the call is still on record.

Now he's stuck here, flipping a quarter between his fingers as his only source of entertainment. When the guards come in for inspection, he hides it in his mouth and says nothing. The metal makes the fillings in his teeth itch.

Pierce sighs, closing his eyes and trying to remember what Annie's voice sounded like. So much like her mother. He should have done better by both of them, should have been a better father, a better provider, a better protector. Instead, he left his only daughter confused and terrified - and he left her with Barnes. One wrong move and she's as good as dead. He trusts Bucky, but he also knows that Bucky's temper gets the better of him sometimes, and Annie loves to mouth off. Pierce wouldn't doubt that she's taken a few punches during their time together.

His heart aches.

He fucked up so badly.

What he wouldn't give just to see Annie one more time.

Pierce hears the lock on the door click and it opens, slamming against the wall. He looks up to see three men in guard's uniforms, their faces covered with balaclavas, and guns in their hands.

And then a figure fills the doorway and Pierce's blood runs cold. He recognizes that devilish grin immediately as Rumlow pulls off a pair of leather gloves. He's in a black suit, his hair slicked back, and he runs his tongue over his teeth.