CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: killing me softly

No smut in this one, just plot

CW: Gun violence, descriptions of stab wounds, blood, angst.

Her heart is pounding, and she's sweating beneath her mask. Clint's men are all around, same with Kate's Club. She brought everyone. They have full reinforcements. Unfortunately, so does Rumlow, and it's looking like this is going to turn into a full scale Wild West gunfight. Bucky is armed to the teeth, and their duffel bag with their sniper rifle is with Zemo's men upstairs on the balcony. The area has been blocked off, reserved only for "extra security" - or so Rumlow has been told. He still thinks that his and Zemo's empires are merging, which means more power for him.

But it won't be long before there's a bullet in his head.

Bucky hands her an earpiece and she slips it into her ear, pretending to fix her big silver hoop that dangles from her earlobe. They're incredibly tiny Bluetooths. Bucky smiles at her.

"It's kinda like that Office scene where Jim and Pam talk all the time while Pam is in New York."

Annie giggles.

"You're such a dork."

"You love me," he breathes as he leans in and kisses her on the cheek. "It's gonna be okay, babydoll."

"You've changed your tune."

"Well, we're gonna run Chicago. You've gotta manifest this shit, right?"

"So you found that copy of The Secret that Zemo had on his bookshelf."

"I might have taken a look at it," Bucky replies.

He's wearing gloves to disguise the tattoos on his hand, and his metal hand. No doubt, Rumlow would recognize that and start shooting right then and there. Bucky's throat tattoos are visible, but the arm is what really gives him away, apparently. He's tried to move like a ghost. Rumlow has only heard stories about him, but never actually seen him in person. He does know about the metal arm, though.

They're standing by the bar. Bucky tells Annie that a drink will help to calm her nerves and keep her from shaking when she goes to make the shot, so he orders her her favorite - a pint of champagne with ice. The bartender stares at him.

"You just want a pint glass filled with champagne and ice?"

"I'll pay for the bottle," Bucky informs him.

"No need," the bartender replies. "Just an unusual order."

"Well, I'm an unusual gal," Annie replies.

Bucky beams at her and the bartender pours her her drink, putting a straw in it. He hands it to her.

"They don't have Baby Duck here," Bucky tells her.