CHAPTER SIXTEEN: never is a promise

CW: Soft!Bucky, soft smut, daddy kink, praise kink

You are sick, and you're married, and you might be dyin'
But you're holdin' me like water in your hands
- Phoebe Bridgers, "Moon Song"

He teaches her how to shoot all day until she's picking bottles and cans off of the old stump in the backyard. Bucky even gets her to shoot at them from the bedroom window. She doesn't fucking miss.

Just before sundown, Bucky changes out of his suit and cuts them some firewood so that they can have a romantic meal in front of the fireplace— and the TV. Annie watches him with a glass of whiskey in her hand. His body glistens with sweat and and his eyebrows are knit together. She clenches her legs together every time he brings that axe down, thick ropes of muscle rippling beneath his tattooed skin. He looks up and smirks at her, his t-shirt tucked in his back pocket. He grabs it and uses it to wipe the sweat off of his forehead.

"You like what you see, sugar?"

"Definitely," Annie replies.

The praise makes him work harder and swing the axe down so that it slices clean through the wood. His jeans cling to his hips, hipbones sticking out from the top. She can see the "A" he told her to carve into his chest and sighs softly, reaching up to touch the "B" that's tattooed on her own.

As he finishes up, he gathers the wood and carries it inside underneath his metal arm. Annie follows behind him and helps him start a fire in the fireplace. It's still summer-ish, but before all of the shit goes down with her dad and Rumlow, she craves something warm, and Bucky is exactly that.

He cooks tonight. Spaghetti and sauce from a jar and Kraft parmesan that they're pretty sure is close to its expiration date, but it smelled fine. The two of them nestle on the couch, wrapped in big blankets and snuggled up to each other while they watch some re-runs of The Golden Girls. Bucky loves it. He's cracked open a couple of bottles of Zemo's expensive wine.

Annie is going to be sad to have to leave this place on Saturday, so she's trying to make the most of a normal life while she can.

"It's going to be harder for you to hit a moving target," he tells her. "But I asked Zemo to get us an earpiece so that I could coach you through it."

She nods and Bucky kisses her temple.

"You're a damn good shot, Annie. You should be proud of that."

"What if I don't kill him?"

She's been thinking about just letting Bucky take the reins, but after putting up that fight just to take one shot, she feels like she has to do it now.

"Then one of Zemo's men will pick up the slack. The thing is, you always have a plan B. If you even hit him, that's a damn good shot for someone who just started practicing six hours ago."