CHAPTER NINETEEN: crossroads

CW: Shower smut, blowjobs, teasing, oral sex (f receiving), hurt/comfort, and an Attachment Theory!Bucky smut move (iykyk), dirty talk, praise kink

My soul has been so fearful, so violent;
forgive its brutality.
- Louise Glück, "Crossroads"

A woman with dark hair and bright eyes just like Bucky's walks in. She has sharp cheekbones and a soft smile. At her heels, are two little boys, one blonde and one with dark hair. They both have their mother's eyes. They're hiding behind her, gripping her pant legs for dear life. They look terrified. Annie wonders if they've ever met their uncle before. She doesn't know what to do. Annie doesn't have siblings, and she's not great with kids. She mostly doesn't know how to act around them, but for Bucky, she would do her best to get to know them and love them just as much as Bucky does.

He's never really talked about his sister. Her only indication that he had one was him checking on her Instagram profile one day. At first, Annie thought it was a woman he was talking to, but once she saw the last name, she realized what was going on. He didn't say anything, and Annie didn't push it. For once in her life.

"Becca?" Bucky whispers. Tears stream down his face and Annie grabs his hand.

"Hi, Buck."

"How did you..."

"Steve tracked me down." She smiles. "Facebook."

Bucky begins to cry, his eyes wide and shoulders shaking as he stares at her. Tears rush down his cheeks and he wipes them away with the back of his hands as he begins to laugh.

"Becca, I thought-"

She walks toward him and wraps her brother in a big hug. The boys linger by the doorway, looking nervously at Annie. She offers them a soft smile and a wave. One of them waves back.

"Buck, I know who you are, and I know what you've done, and it doesn't mean shit to me. If I hear my big brother is hurt, I'm going to come running. That's what family does."

Annie hears Bucky whine and he begins to weep, holding onto his sister as she cries too.

"I'm so sorry," he whispers. "I'm sorry I couldn't be there for you, and the boys-" he looks up at them and they cower. Bucky lets out a soft whimper and Rebecca lets him go and turns around.

"Boys, this is your uncle Jamie. Jamie, this is Ryan and... James. Named him after you."

She gestures to the boy with dark hair and Bucky sobs. Annie wonders if he ever knew their names, or if he purposely decided that even that was too close to his family.

Bucky crouches down and reaches out his right hand. His rings are on the table beside his hospital bed. The nurse put them in a little box for him, including his wedding band. So far, that's the only thing he's put back on. The others are remnants of an old life that he seems to want to move on from. They still haven't made an official decision about going back to Chicago, but she thinks that if anyone was going to take her father's place, it should be them.