Chapter Four - Date Night

I shifted from foot to foot, feeling a little uncomfortable, as I waited for Sean to pick me up from a construction site where I lived in a trailer. Jeez.

Okay, so I felt a bit more than a little uncomfortable.

Especially since I stood like a fool next to the security booth. The guard already gave me three hard looks. I had no idea what was his problem. I tried to chat with him once and he just stared at me. I wanted to believe he simply didn't know English, but I wasn't so sure.

Sighing, I checked the time and saw that I was ten minutes early. I wanted to come here so Sean wouldn't see my trailer, but now I regretted coming early as I felt like an idiot standing on the street alone as people passing by checked me out. I hoped they didn't think I was a hooker.

I fidgeted with the hem of my little white dress, wishing I had chosen a longer one.

My phone started ringing and I glanced at the screen before I answered. Vasili. "Hey, what's up?

"You tell me. Sergei says you're working a corner."

"Sergei!" I gasped, whirling around to glare at the stupid guard who still stared at me with judgment. "Sergei's an ass."

"So what else is new?" Vasili chuckled. "What are you doing anyway?"

"Waiting for my date."

"And who might that be?"

"Sean Jones."

"A Cub?" I heard surprise in his voice.

"I guess, I hear he's some baseball star."

"Yeah, he plays for Cubs, newest addition to the team. You be careful, all those athletes are players."

"Yeah, I hear they get paid to play."

"Don't be a smart-ass. Where is he taking you?"

"Lincoln Park, Alinea."

"If you're not back by ten I'm coming after him."

"Yes, dad." I rolled my eyes. "See you tomorrow."

"Great," I muttered as I threw the phone back in my purse. "I really am a Trailer Skank."

I sighed once again in frustration. I didn't want Sean to pick me up, but what were my choices? Meet him at the fancy restaurant where I would pass the keys of my RV to the valet? Or grab a taxi to the restaurant all the way to Lincoln Park?

Admittedly, I had enough money in my bank account to do that and live comfortably for about another year. Or I could buy a car I then realized I desperately needed and starve for a year. With that in mind, I decided not to throw money on a stupid cab ride until I figured out what I needed the most - car or food.

And so I stood there, feeling more and more awkward by the minute. Why did I even agree to go out on a date with him?

We were from completely different worlds. I didn't even know what baseball was about and I certainly didn't care about fancy restaurants.

It was then that a little black Audi crept up and pulled up next to me. Half-expecting a window to roll down and how much to be thrown I stood frozen in my spot.

Thankfully, Sean got out and gave me a charming grin. And just like that - I got my answer.

I agreed to go out with him because of that pretty face.

"Hey, doll. You look amazing," he said, giving me a kiss on the cheek.

"Thanks," I whispered as he held the door open for me while I slipped in the passenger seat. I smiled when I recognized the song that was playing. At least, we liked the same music.