Chapter Seven - Arabian Nights (Part 1)

BOOM Events proved to be worthy of its name seeing how the grand opening was truly a boom.

Tanya and Louise decided on an 'Arabian Nights' theme as the best way to show off their party planning skills to potential clients - all of whom were wandering around the room in awe.

The gold luminescent circle arch at the entrance acted as a time gate, creating the illusion of stepping into a tale of 1001 Nights. The floors were covered with handmade rugs while the ceiling and the walls were draped with colorful fabrics, creating a tented effect. Vibrant oriental music playing in the background only added to the exotic atmosphere. People were buzzing around the place, drinking in every little detail with excitement and burning curiosity.

In one corner, traditional Moroccan mint tea was served and women gathered to gush at famous colorful tea glasses. While in another corner a hookah lounge was set up where men sat Turkish style, waiting for their turn to try fragrant, flavored tobacco. A little food stand stood to the side, offering all kinds of exotic dishes, while waiters, dressed like Aladdin, served more conventional spirit drinks on silver trays.

Casbah lanterns cast soft, romantic light and their iron carvings created intriguing pattern shadows, giving the place an air of mystery. Burning incense sticks were held by beautifully carved rosewood ash catchers and the smell of sandalwood filled the air as little puffs of smoke floated around the room.

Dozen of little tables were scattered around the place with interesting tabletop decors like brass magic lamps, treasure troves, hour grass and little elephants crowned with colorful jewels. Decoration didn't stop there. A giant camel prop stood by one side of the food stand and as a peacock standee stood on the other side. Sitting at the dark mahogany desk was an old gypsy, giving tarot readings. Girls were impatient to hear their future while I was biting my tongue, trying not to tell them that she was instructed to give only happy predictions.

People were thrilled to take pictures and were encouraged to post them on social networks with #boomevents.

Louise and Tanya's place of business wasn't big enough for such a large crowd, but they were smart enough to solve that problem by putting the space behind the building to good use. They temporarily took down the back door, replacing it with a curtain of exotic fabrics for an easier transition from one room to another. Wooden carved screens with up lights acted as a fence around what was supposed to be their parking space. There, a brightly colored decorative tent was set up with canopies with low seating. Moroccan pouffes provided a cozy place to sit while a bunch of colorful pillows offered even greater comfort.

The outside was a little less mystical and a bit more alive with lots of entertainers, from sword swallowers, snake charmers and belly dancers, to tiny women in black painting henna tattoos.

Women were having a hard time breathing as they perved on handsome waiters in their unbuttoned vests that had their six packs on display while men followed belly dancers with hungry eyes.

I was standing by the table with a big bowl of water with rose petals and candles floating on the surface. Feeling serene, I was running my fingers through the water when Tanya approached me. "Warning - Peeping Tom in the house."

Immediately, I ducked behind a tall man standing near me. "Where?"

"There," Tanya nodded in direction of the entrance. "Louise just went to greet them."

Sure enough, I saw a grinning Sean and a bunch of guys with him that I assumed were his teammates with their trophy wives hanging on their arms. I saw Kenny next to Sean and shuddered.

"You guys so owe me for this," I hissed at Tanya.

She rolled her eyes. "Come on, let's say hi."