Chapter Nine - Chasing Tails

Someone once told me: the universe works by one rule - ask and you shall receive.

Now I'm not so sure Rob's proposition of a deal was exactly what I was asking for, but hey - it paid well.

"You know this girl?" Rob's eyes fixated on me.

"Her hair is now blonde and she has a scar on her face, but yes - that's her. I've seen her with Kenny. Sean actually dropped them off at what I presume it was Kenny's place."

"Do you know the address?"

"No, but I know how to get there."

"Good. Let's go," he said getting up and grabbing his jacket from the back of his seat.

"Not so fast."

He frowned down at me. "What?"

"I need to know what's going to happen once you find this girl."

His face was expressionless except for the frown that was already on his face. I couldn't read him. "If you have something to ask me, ask. Don't beat around the bush."

"Alright. If I lead you to her I need to know that I'm not putting her in harm's way."

The moment I recognized the girl as Jessica and realized she was the girl Rob was looking for her shadow-filled eyes flashed in my mind. I had no idea what all of this was about, but I had already figured out that there was something Jess was trying to escape from and I wasn't about to stand in her way.

"Trust me, I'll be saving her ass."

We stared at each other for a moment, assessing the other.

"Anything else you want to get off your chest?" he asked me.

"Anything else you want to get off your chest?" I returned, raising my eyebrow.

He was the one keeping all the secrets, not me. It's not that I thought that he was lying to me, it's that he was giving me only as much of the information as he had to. I just didn't get what was with all the secrecy.

His face was a stone, but the corner of his mouth curved up a little and I swear I saw amusement in his eyes. He was the most frustrating man on Earth!

"Fine, let's get going then." Maybe I'm not able to read him, but I do trust him still.

Besides, I might find out some more information on the way. Or at least from asking point blank Jess what was it that she was involved with. And what the hell it had to do with Rob.

The car Rob was driving suited him perfectly. It was a matte black, fast little sports car I couldn't even try to guess which brand it was. It had a black interior with comfy leather seats and Rob's unique smell that wrapped around me and teased my senses. I loved it.

He drove fast, but with control and precision. I wondered if there was anything this man didn't do well.

I instructed him to go over to the nightclub and from then on it was basically just turn left, turn right. Two wrong turns later and we finally found the building.

He parked the car in the same small alley Sean had parked it once and got out. I followed after him.

He leaned an elbow on the open door of his car, and he took off his shades as he observed the building. He threw a glance at me, hopefully unaware of my staring and drooling over him. It wasn't my fault he looked so sexy. "I don't assume you know the apartment number?"

I pointed up to the window next to the fire escape. The very one Sean had used to peep through. "I know that's the window."

"Third floor. Good enough." He took his phone out. "I'm calling you a cab."