Chapter 17 - Secrets

"Where the hell have you been?" asked a deep voice I knew all too well.

"Jesus, Rob." I put a hand over my heart, trying to stop it from jumping out of my chest. My knees buckled and I sank down to sit on the steps. I held on to the cold iron, trying to get my shit together.

I saw his shadow move and soon he was standing at the bottom of the stairs, both of his hands gripping the railing either side of me.

"You disappeared. Where to?" I didn't know much about the man, but I recognized that tone with no trouble. His voice was flat, too calm - which meant that he was anything but.

Well, too bad. I was pissed off too. Or I will be once I calm down a little.

He should really learn that it's not okay to break into people's houses.

"Frankie-"

"Give me a sec. You kind of scared the crap out of me, if you haven't noticed." I glanced up at him. The moonlight was hitting his face perfectly, highlighting all his best features. The sharp line of his jaw; his hypnotic, dark eyes; and even a stubble that had grown since the last time I saw him looked sexy; It was really hard to be mad at him when all I wanted was to kiss those driving-me-insane lips. Hard, but not impossible. He needed to learn some manners. "How did you even find me?"

"You weren't in your RV and I saw a light up here."

I had no idea why I even bothered with these questions. "So you just came up?"

"Where have you been?" Like usual, he didn't bother with answers. "Your RV wasn't here for four days."

He noticed? And why was he keeping track?

"I was staying with a friend," I said before I remembered that I shouldn't be that open with him. Not if I wanted to get some answers of my own. "Not that it's any of your business."

"Why?" he asked. "What friend?"

"Also none of your business." Tit for tat, buddy. You want answers? You gotta give me some.

The way his dark eyes focused on mine made me nervous. I was afraid he would be able to find all the secrets in my eyes.

"What happened?" he asked, making my spine go rigid in a matter of milliseconds.

"What makes you think something happened?" I stared at him intently, trying to read his face. What did he know?

"You weren't answering my calls." He frowned, giving me a strange look. "You're jumpy."

"You would be jumpy too if someone broke into your apartment!" Or if you had found a dead girl whose killer you most likely knew.

"You should lock your doors," he advised.

"And you should learn to knock." It annoyed me that he thought I needed him to tell me to lock my doors. I knew how to take care of myself. I simply didn't want to lock my door. "Besides, Sergei is downstairs. No one can come in."

He lifted his eyebrows and I rolled my eyes. "Well, obviously you can. But that's different, you're some kind of... superhuman or something."

He didn't smirk, but I sensed that he wanted too.

"You should really stop breaking in," I said. "Next time I might use my bat on you."

"Tell me what happened that made you so jumpy." He ignored my empty threat and I couldn't blame him. I didn't even have a bat. The only thing I could hit him with was my pillow. And I wasn't in the mood for a pillow fight.