Chapter 20 - Temptation

I left Mark's building, feeling even worse than I did when I came. And I was scared that I was walking into a murderer's lair then.

I jumped into my trailer and dropped my head on the wheel. I had taken a huge risk and instead of feeling relief for not ending up like Jessica, I felt regret for being stupid enough to take such risk in the first place. And for what? Did I really want to risk my life for a story? For a job I wasn't sure I'd get.

It sounded so ridiculous that I actually chuckled. I was losing it. I promised myself that I won't be that irrational again.

I counted to ten and lifted my head. Taking a deep breath, I started the engine.

Doorman's eyes which followed me as I was leaving the parking lot, reminded me of my unorthodox vehicle choice. Only, it wasn't really a choice anymore. Nowadays it was a necessity, with my employment depending on Sean finding a serial killer and keeping his word.

Luckily, today wasn't a total bust. I learned something that would help me with Sean.

I had wanted to ask Mark who was Jessica dating but seeing him break down like he did changed my mind. I didn't have the heart to upset him any more than I already had, or make myself look more suspicious, for that matter.

Besides, I had a pretty good idea who she was seeing. Since Mark was just a friend, there was only one person to suspect - Stephen.

Kenny would have been a good option too, but he was the one who had told me that she was in a relationship. So it was Stephen for sure.

I wondered if Mark was upset over Jessica seeing Stephen or Kenny? Each seemed like a legitimate possibility. I wouldn't want my best friend dating either of them.

Especially if Stephen was a serial killer. I didn't know if he ended up killing Jessica because he found out that she was cheating on him with Kenny, or if he killed her simply for being a psychotic bastard.

I needed to call Sean and tell him what I knew about Stephen. Maybe I should tell him about Kenny too. Though he probably already knew about his cousin. I wondered if there was something more about Kenny that he knew and I didn't. Maybe I could convince him to trade information.

I made it back to my building in no time and jogged up the stairs. Sometimes I hated them with every fiber of my being, but sometimes I found them useful. I liked a good exercise from time to time.

Today I enjoyed the exercise and I pushed myself more, taking two steps at the time.

Rid of some stress, and hopefully, a few pounds too, I jumped straight into the shower. It became a habit of mine. Even when I took my time on the stairs I'd found myself sweaty by the time I reach the eighth floor. And, I also might have liked to use any excuse to jump into my new, amazing bathroom.

With a towel wrapped around myself, I entered the adjoining walk-in closet, that was also connected to my bedroom. The bedroom which was empty of course, since there was no elevator yet, but my closet was full. I moved most of my clothes last night with the help of Vasili and Boris. They also helped me carry my new bar stools, so now I could actually sit down to eat.

I had just thrown on my cut off jeans and a t-shirt for lounging around when I heard my phone ringing in the distance. I ran down the stairs and grabbed the phone from the counter.

After checking the caller ID my eyebrows lifted. It was Rob calling.

"I'm waiting for you outside," he said, as soon as I answered.

"I wasn't aware we were supposed to meet."

"You have five minutes." He hung up.

Dropping my jaw, I gave an incredulous look to my phone. Just who the hell did he think he was?