Chapter 24 - The Bitter Truth

My head was spinning as I tried to comprehend what was going on. I was back in my chair, restrained once again, and my eyes were glued to Gus. His, on the other hand, couldn't choose a spot to focus on. They were flying from Vincent to Yvonne, glancing over me, then back to jumping between Vincent and Yvonne. I took that as I sign that he wasn't going to be the one to answer my questions. Partly because he seemed to be as dumbfounded as I, and partly because of the duct tape over his mouth.

When I first laid my eyes on the couple I thought for sure that killing was a Harrison's family hobby. Then Vincent gave his gun to Yvonne as he tied both Gus and myself.

"I thought you were in jail," I mumbled, wondering what was Gus doing here. Sean had said that he got arrested. What the hell was happening? Was Sean lying? Was he in on it too? Was he going to be the next to walk through the door?

"He was," Yvonne said, crossing her arms as she leaned on the table. "He was released on bail."

Vincent took a seat on the chair next to her. "Too bad he didn't stay there," he grumbled, staring at Gus with hatred.

Yvonne gave an elegant shrug. "This will work too."

I shook my head in disbelief. Yvonne was the serial killer all along. Yesterday she didn't warn me to stay away from Gus because he was dangerous - it was because she was dangerous.

"Why?" I asked, attracting all eyes, but I only cared for Yvonne's. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I can," she said. Then her gorgeous face turned into a sneer as she shot a glare to Gus. "Because he made me."

Gus shook his head, looking at her like he saw her for the first time. He, too, was struggling to understand this twisted reality.

"You did!" Yvonne snapped at him, her blue eyes filled with fury. "I gave you everything you ever dreamed of and you couldn't even stay faithful."

I frowned. "All of this because he cheated on you? Why didn't you just file for a divorce?"

Her focus stayed on Gus as she answered me. I never saw anyone hate someone with such passion. "Because it's not enough."

"He'll pay," Vincent said, making her turn towards him. The smirk that crossed her lips spoke of no good. Her eyes sparkled in anticipation. I shivered as cold sweat broke on my skin, but Vincent didn't hesitate to smile back. His eyes actually showed adoration as they caressed the angelic features of her face.

It made me sick and I had to look away. Yvonne caught that and grinned. "Believe it or not, once upon a time we used to be crazy in love."

I didn't believe it. I believed the crazy part though.

"I met him when he was nothing. I gave him the clothes on his back, the cars he drove, paid for the best trainers in the world and got him into the Cubs. I made him a star!" She shouted, putting a fist to her chest. "I gave up my modeling career for him and what did he do? He disrespected me."

She laughed, which made me question her sanity. "Men threw themselves at my feet. They worshipped me! And my husband cheated on me."

Gus averted his eyes in shame. The guilt written on his face spoke truth. In different circumstances, my heart would have gone to Yvonne, but not after what she had done.

She started pacing as she continued with her story. "When I found out, I confronted him. We fought and I demanded that he left her. But do you know what he did?" She smiled, but the smile didn't reach her wide eyes. "He hit me. Me!"

Her palm connected with Gus's cheek when she slapped him viciously. His head flew to the side. The sound of the slap echoed, then faded into the background. Yvonne's erratic breathing was all that was heard.