Chapter 14 - Milwaukee

I've been looking forward to Milwaukee all week. I missed being on the move and a two-hour drive was just what I needed. I hoped being on the open road would help me relax and take my mind off some things. Of course, as soon as I hit the road all my concerns came flying back to me double the size.

During the drive, I had no distractions, unlike the week before when I had spent time with Vasili, kept track of the progress of my apartment, and hung out with Lana. Otherwise, I was thinking about Rob and Jessica. I couldn't figure out Rob and I couldn't find Jessica. I could, as it turned out, give myself a headache going over the same unanswered questions. It was as if my brain was stuck on a merry-go-round. Thinking never brought me any good.

Since my detecting hit a rut, I decided to focus on my future career instead. I was going to get that car one way or another!

Though, I wasn't having any more luck in that department either. The story I had submitted to Eddie, about activists gathering in a sea of orange in Hyde Park to help raise awareness of gun violence, didn't receive a glowing review as I had expected. Just a pretty offensive line: Won't do.

At least he added write another.

So instead of having a relaxing trip to Milwaukee, singing Bob Marley, I spent the two hours stress-eating twinkies and bickering with stupid GPS.

Thankfully, my brain finally shut off once I arrived and spotted Andrei in his red soccer jersey. He looked so cute. I would never admit it, but for once I actually enjoyed the sport. It was nice to only worry about kicking a ball into the right net. A task number fifteen found pretty challenging.

Andrei's team lost, but judging by the grin on his face you would've never guessed so. He scored two goals, the only goals his team got, and he wore a deserving, proud grin.

When the game ended I figured I needed to make up for the lost time so I embarrassed him the way only family can do. I ran out onto the field and picked him up. I twirled him in circles until we both hit the grass laughing. Strangely, he didn't even seem to mind the crazy lady who was treating him like a kid, which he is and always will be to me, in front of all of his friends. I guess he was just happy that I had kept my promise.

***

I've been to Milwaukee before, so I was at the RV campground pretty quickly. I paid to stay for the night and hooked up to their power and water. With only two hours left to the party, I grabbed a quick dinner, took a shower, and picked out a simple black dress.

The party was held at The Pfister hotel in which the Cubs stayed. I didn't want to worry about finding a parking spot so I decided to splurge and take a cab instead. It wasn't too far from the RV park anyway.

Fake it till you make it was my new philosophy, or so I had decided in the shower. If I wanted to be a reporter I should start acting like one. Starting tonight. What better place to be a reporter than at the after party the Chicago Cubs were throwing.

I was going to find my story tonight. I could feel it.

The taxi parked right at the entrance of the hotel. The valet boy opened my door and I gave him a smile.

I saw Harrison's driver, Vincent, next to their limo and gave him a wave. He didn't wave back. Waving wasn't working out for me and I swore I would never attempt it again. In my defense, I don't think he even saw me. He jumped into the limo and drove off.

The lobby looked extravagant with its high ceiling and a shiny chandelier as a centerpiece, which I assumed cost more than my RV. Everything was golden and expensive looking. The most spectacular thing though was the mural on the ceiling. I've been to a lot of hotels, but I've never before been to one that had a painting on the ceiling the size of the one in the Sistine Chapel.