04, Summer Nights.

Summer Nights

Season One, Episode Three. Part one.

-

Today was Belly's birthday. Everyone was sitting downstairs, preparing for the birthday girl to come down. Birthdays were always something that Penelope loved. She loved seeing the joy on people's faces when they got something they really wanted. Sure, that happened on Christmas too. But something was more intimate about birthdays that Penelope really appreciated. Penelope loved seeing the people she loved grow into the people they were. 

Every morning of Belly's birthday they made mickey mouse pancakes for her. Penelope was currently helping Laur make the pancakes. She asked her to help when Steven burnt his second pancake.

Penelope knew today would be a good day. Lila would be coming to Cousins. But that also meant that Taylor would be coming. Penelope loved Taylor, don't get her wrong. Sometimes the girl was a bit much. And Penelope was particularly fond of the girl flirting with Jeremiah.  I mean it's not like Penelope could do anything about it. They weren't dating. It still upset her though.

As Penelope was flipping the pancake her best friend came into the room. She handed the spatula to Laur and ran over to her. She waited for her turn as Susannah was closer and could hug her first. "There's the birthday girl, looking like a vision in floral. Happy birthday!"

"Belly! You're finally the same age as me." Penelope wrapped her arms tightly around the girl. "Happy birthday!" she smiled at her and Belly returned the smile. She let go and stepped off to the side, looking at Belly. She was gorgeous.

"Happy birthday, Belly!" Lydia hugged her next.

Jere came up next to Penelope, "Happy Sweet 16, Bells!" He hugged her. 

"Now Belly Button's getting old finally. Happy Birthday!" Steven said to his little sister, about to eat his breakfast. 

"Yeah, happy birthday Belly." Dean looked over to her from his seat and smiled.

"Thanks everyone!" Belly laughed.

Penelope stepped off to go finish up the breakfast as Laur walked away from the stove and over to her daughter. "Happy birthday, Sweetheart!" She hugged her daughter.

"Thanks, Mom." 

"Your mickey mouse pancakes are ready." Laur smiled at her.

"Actually, I'm not really, uh, hungry." Belly nodded.

"Oh" Laur looked down and Penelope frowned. They worked hard on the pancakes, but more for her I guess.

"Shall we open gifts?" Susannah suggested.

"Oh! You're gonna love mine." Jeremiah jumped up from his seat, holding a box. Belly smiled at him, then looked to Conrad, who hadn't said a single word the entire time. Her smiled dropped slightly and Penelope looked at her weirdly. Then she noticed who she was staring at and nodded.

-

Belly was opening gifts now. They started with Laurels gift to her, since she was her mother. It was book. Belly looked at the book, a bit confused.

"It's a first edition. I got it from a rare book dealer." Laurel nodded at her.

"Thanks, Mom." Belly looked up at her and smiled.