13, Summer Love.

Summer Love.

Season One, Episode Seven. Part Two.

-

Penelope and Jeremiah went to go find Laurel as the escort dance was about to start. They overheard John and Laurel talking about Susannah. 

Penelope shrugged and was about to walk into the room but Jeremiah put his arm in front of her, "Wait" he mouthed to her.

Penelope nodded and they listened to John speak, "And I accepted it because I love her, too. But you're gonna have to face that Susannah isn't gonna be here much longer."

Penelope's smiled dropped and she turned to look at Jeremiah, who shared the same confused expression. 

Jeremiah shook his head and grabbed Penelope's hand, "Laurel?" They walked into the room and Laurel cleared her throat. 

"Jeremiah, Penelope. What is it?" John turned to them with a small smile. 

 "Uh, the escort dance is about to start." Jeremiah used his thumb and pointed back to the ballroom.

Penelope nodded, "Belly really doesn't want you to miss it." She looked at Laurel, who looked like she was about to cry. Laurel tried to keep it in with a smile, but Penelope saw past her facade. 

Laurel smiled, "Thank you! We'll be right there." Penelope and Jeremiah nodded and walked out. 

Penelope looked at Jeremiah, who was looking at the ground. She realized what John meant and gasped, "Jere, I'm sure that's not what he meant."

She was lying and they both knew it. There wasn't another explanation for what it could be about. Jeremiah shook his head and they walked back.

Penelope took a seat at the table next to Belly while Jeremiah went to go do the Debutante escort dance.

-

Penelope was sat at the table, waiting for Jeremiah. The dance was starting, "I don't know where Jeremiah is." She looked at the parents. 

Susannah shook her head and placed a hand on her shoulder, "He'll be here in a minute, I'm sure." She pointed to the floor, "Go, get ready!"

Penelope nodded and took her position. She looked around for Jeremiah and couldn't find him. She shook her head at Susannah. He wasn't there. 

Belly and Conrad walked over to her, "Where's Jere?" Conrad looked at Penelope confused. He wouldn't ditch her, Conrad didn't think he would do that to her.

"I don't know. He said he had a headache or something and then was just gone." Penelope shrugged. "What do I do?"

She felt a hand on her shoulder and gasped. She turned around and it was Dean, she smacked him lightly for scaring her. He scoffed, "You're lucky that I'm a good brother who won't let you embarrass yourself."

Penelope glared at him and he raised his hands up, "Okay, mom told me to come. It's starting and Jere is no where to be seen."

She rolled her eyes and nodded, "Fine. But I swear you better not purposely mess me up."

He laughed, "I'll try not to."

They turned back to Conrad and Belly. Belly sighed, "I just don't get where he would have gone."

They all shrugged as the music started and they got into their positions. They started to dance. Penelope frowned and Dean noticed. 

He sighed quietly, "Maybe he really did feel sick, don't worry P." She nodded. 

-

Penelope saw Jeremiah walk up to Conrad and Belly. She looked at Dean and they shrugged. They watched as they talked, "You know I really can't believe he left you and then doesn't even come to apologize." Dean crossed his arms over his chest.

"I know right!" Penelope exclaimed. They sat in silence watching them. 

He sighed, "I missed our friendship. I miss talking shit with you."

Penelope looked over at him, "Yeah well that stopped once you became and overprotective little bitch."

As he was about to respond when they saw Jeremiah punch Conrad. Penelope slapped her hand over her mouth as she gasped. "Oh, my God!"

Penelope and Dean looked at each other and then ran over there. He pulled Jeremiah off Dean, "What the hell are you doing?"

Susannah ran over to them and yelled at them. Conrad and Jeremiah walked over to her, out of breath. "Mom," Jeremiah's voice cracked. 

He looked over at Conrad, Conrad nodded and looked back at Susannah, "We know mom. We both know mom."

Penelope looked down. It was true and they just confirmed it. Susannah was dying.

"Know what?" Dean whispered to himself.

Belly turned to the three moms, "Know what?"

-

Lydia, Dean, Penelope, and their dog were all on Penelope's bed. Penelope was using Leo as a pillow, she was crying. 

Lydia was brushing through her hair with her fingers, trying to hold back her own tears. "Honey, you made her very proud tonight." She smiled at Penelope and then looked at Dean. Dean wasn't very good at showing emotions. He wouldn't cry in front of the two of them, wanting to make it seem like he was okay. "You both did."

Dean looked over at her and she saw a tear go down his face. His walls were breaking. Lydia opened her arms and Dean hugged her. The three began crying together, holding each other for comfort. 

-

They were now eating dinner. Susannah told the kids that she would be doing the trial. So things have calmed down and smiles were on everyone's face.

Penelope looked around at the table and smiled. She was grateful for her family. Jeremiah explained to her before dinner what had happened, why he left. 

Jeremiah looked at her and grabbed her hand. She smiled and he smiled back at her.

-

Author's Note

and that's a wrap on season one! 

this chapter was extremely hard for me to write bc of that scene. #susannahdeservesbetter

we got some dean and penelope moments :)

unfortunately, this is the end! but don't worry, i will be writing season two! 

i want to thank you all for everything. thank you for almost 80k reads. thank you for supporting me endlessly. thank you for not giving up on me and allowing me to take breaks when i need. i love and appreciate you all. 

if you ever need anything at all, dm me please. i want to help you to the best of my abilities.

i won't be responding to comments or dms from july 22nd - august 6th or 7th! my apologies, i'll be on vacation and i don't think i'll have any way to access wattpad from there!