††Chapter Ten††

Chapter Ten

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

A little past the middle of the night Cody woke up from Frodo stirring next to her. At first, she thought he was shifting in his sleep but then, he slowly got up and walked away. She rolled over on her side and watched him intently. He had walked to the water's edge and was staring at a bright light.

"Frodo!" she hissed.

He looked over at her as if he was in a trance and fear glinted in his eyes. "There's faces in the water. They are the ones who are holding the lights." he said. He then turned his attention back to the face and slowly teetered towards it.

"Frodo, do not look at the lights!" she warned him as she stood up but it was too late. Frodo leaned over too far and fell into the murky water bed. Water splashed up and then engulfed his body to where she could not see him. "Frodo!" she screamed.

Before anyone could move his hand slapped the water and then disappeared as if he had been pulled under. Cody quickly ran over to where Frodo had stood only moments ago and gazed into the water. Deeper down she saw the body of Frodo thrash around as shadowy figures swarmed around him.

With out even thinking, Cody began to pull off her cloak when she felt a hand on her shoulder. She whipped around and came face to face with Samwise Gamgee.

"What are you doing?" he asked sleepily.

"Frodo fell into the water and is being drowned!" she said and with out waiting for a response she dove into the smelly water.

She tried to remember Gimli's instructions but she was in the spur of the moment and moved her arms and legs without realising it. She opened her eyes but the muddy water hurt them and it was hard to see through the muck. As she neared the shadows they let out shrieks of fear and quickly disappeared into the gloom. One tried to drag Frodo deeper down but when it saw her it soon fled.

Frodo had his eyes wide open but when she looked closely she could tell that he couldn't see a thing. His mouth was open and stray bubbles came out as he let out his last breathe. She grabbed his hand and pulled him to the surface. When they were only a foot away her lungs began to burn and her strength was beginning to fail her. Black dots began to swim into her visions and slowly grew bigger.

As she started to sink back into the water she reached her hand up to the surface as if she could pull herself up. When she thought all hope was lost she felt a firm grasp on her wrist and she feebly grabbed onto it. With incredible strength the hand pulled both Cody and Frodo out of the water. When they neared the surface she felt another set of hands grab the back of her shirt and helped to haul her up.

In only a few seconds her head broke the surface and she sucked in the sweet air. She was thrown onto the ground with Frodo by her side. She did not realise that she had closed her eyes and when she opened them she was met by a face that she had not seen in years.

"Father?" she asked weakly.

The man smiled and brushed aside her tangled hair. A faint glow outlined his body and his clothes billowed around him by a breeze that did not exist.

"You are brave and I am proud to call you my daughter. I am sorry that we treated you like we did Codalia. If we could go back and change the past we would." he cried.

"Do not be sorry Father. I am just glad that you came back for me."

"Stay alive Codalia, you have a bright future ahead of you and you have a very honorable hobbit who loves you. Good bye Daughter. May I see you in a better place." and with that he turned around and his body shimmered away.

"Cody." Sam called with worry in his voice.

Weakly, she rolled over and saw Sam bending over Frodo's limp form. His eyes were still opened and stared blankly up at the night sky. His chest barely rose and fell and a trickle of water ran out of his mouth. With much effort Cody picked herself off the ground and stumbled over to the two hobbits.

She sat down next to Frodo and rested his head in her lap. His eyes were unblinking and he did not move at all when she placed his head in her lap. She stroked his hair and let her tears fall on his already wet face.

"Please wake up." she cried, "Please." when nothing happened she looked over at Sam and asked, "Why do I always cause things like this to happen? I should've stopped him before he went to the water. This is all my fault that this happened at all!"

"It's not your fault." a weak voice said.

Cody looked down and saw that life had come back to him and his eyes were clear. "Frodo!" she cheered and cradled him in her arms like a small child. She looked down at him and started to pull him into a hug when he stopped short and gave her a loving kiss.

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

When Frodo saw that she was pulling him into a hug he seized his chance. Instead of resting his head on her should he stopped to let her do the rest. At first, he thought she was going to draw away but she never did. He ran his fingers through her wet hair and she did the same to him.

He could have stayed like that forever if it were up to him. But, they both needed to breathe and reluctantly pulled apart. Only then did he rest his head on her shoulder and breathed into her ear, "I will love you forever. No matter what shall come between us, even death itself, I will be by your side, always. Even if I am not home and am off to battle I will always love you."

Tears formed in Cody's eyes when he whispered this to her. No one had ever said anything to her like that before. She knew she had made the right choice in whom to love for he truly loved her back. "And I," she whispered back, "Will always love you. Nothing can separate us, not even the horrible sting of death. Even if you are not home I will find a way to find you even if it means traveling through the darkest valley or the widest ocean, I will always love you."

--------What did you guys think? Do you like her actual name, Codalia? This is the fist name I have actually come up with and I think it fits her perfectly! ~God Bless ------------