Episode 7: Library Troubles

"'Azura,' Hecate began. 'Our paths have crossed only in battle. But today I stand before you seeking an ally.'" Luz was reading the Azura book 5 to me and King, mostly King, while I was just reading my own book about the Harpy Curse. Luz held the book near her chest and got a bit giddy that she may fall off the couch she was standing on.

"Luz, you're getting all swoony again." King pointed out as his eyes narrowed a bit and just sat there.

"Yeah, I don't always have to save you, every time. What if it's the end of the world and I won't be there to save you?" I agreed with King and told her about saving her and not being there in a sarcastic tone. Luz just laughed and looked at her book.

"You know either way that you would try to keep me protected. And I can't help it. Azura can befriend everyone. Even her biggest rival. I wish I had that kind of power." Luz pressed the book back to her chest as King stated that rivals should be annihilated, not befriended.

"Now keep reading. I've been sucked into your awful fandom." King tail wagged and I just laughed, shrinking the Spells and Curse book, and putting it into my pocket.

"Okay. 'Suddenly the door swung open.'" When Luz said that the door/Hooty opened and said, "Ding-dong. Ding. Hoot! Hoot!" Freaking out King in the process and saying, "The book has come to life! Burn it!" Luz, in shock that it may be a coincidence of the book and Hooty, and I just stood up and went to the door. Luz came after me and looked around. My eyes and Luz's fall upon a basket.

Carrying the basket carefully, me, Luz and King went to the kitchen. Luz called Mom and she went to the kitchen where I placed the basket gently. "Eda, you got a package. It looks like a gift basket."

"Probably an offering. Ah! Being the most powerful witch in the Boiling Isles has its perks." Mom stated. King tied a bib around his neck and sat on the table.

"Yeah, one is being feared, two is being a well-known person, and three being a center of attention to be captured and sent to the Emperor's Coven. But somehow no one ever bothered to do that when we're out in plain sight." I listed three things about their perks. King pulled the blanket off a bit to reveal a baby bat.

King rubbed his paws together, "Mm. Fresh meat." Luz left and replied that she wouldn't eat that.

"Witches eating babies is so 1693. What is this?" Eda was baffled about it and King pointed out a note. I grabbed it and read it out loud.

"'Take care of my child till morning. Yi Yi.'" Mom declared that babies were awful, and I could feel the irony of it all. "Yeah, but didn't you take care of me when I was a baby and when King was about 3 years old or something? Does that mean I was awful when I was a baby?" I questioned Eda and she nervously chuckled and stated that I was an exception.

"Bat Queen?" Mom said it with confusion, then it soon changed when King pulled out some coins with interest. "Reward?" Luz came back.

"Who's the Bat Queen?" She asked. Mom answered saying, "She's the wealthiest demon on the Boiling Isles. Get in with her and you're set for life." She grabbed the snail from King, that he was sniffing on. "So, we keep this thing alive for a few hours and we get paid. Pfft. Easy."

"Our greatest adventure yet! Learning about love and life through a child's eye." Luz clasped her hands and her eyes sparkled.

"Not you. You must return the books I checked out from the library. And Y/N too." Eda interjected Luz's thoughts and I just grinned and shook my head. Mom cast a pile of books that Luz caught. Luz moved away and I was still there listening. "I don't want her getting a cut of the loot." I put on a "really" face and followed Luz.