Ch-17: Pinky Promise

"Captain, you're not human are you?" I asked.

"I was human once upon a time. Much like you guys. I mean you and Hongjoo, not Yeosang."

"How did you-"

"I know someone like me when I smell one. Why do you think I trusted you guys so easily? Seonghwa was totally against having you here. Understandable, he's human, he wouldn't felt weird because humans themselves take time to trust each other. I tend to trust people turned magic holders."

"You have magic too?" Hongjoo asked.

"No. I never did and I don't I even can."

"You said your blood was cursed. How so? I didn't detect any as such. Well I knew you were dangerous at first but a curse?" asked Yeosang not knowing this in the past 8 months on the ship.

"When I first set sail as a pirate I was actually way over 40."

"You look no older than 22." Hongjoo complimented him.

"Thank you. As I was saying, I was in my mid forties. My late husband-"

"You were married?" Hongjoo exclaimed.

"Shh! Let him speak." I shut her.

"He didn't know he had magic but he was learning the dark arts."

"Dark arts don't require magic?" I asked.

"Dark arts and dark magic are different. Dark arts deals with stuff like voodoo doll and giving verbal curses. Not swearing at someone but like giving a negative destiny. Dark arts also includes clairvoyance but not limited to manipulation of time. Dark arts includes stuff morally wrong. Dark magic deals with stuff that isn't morally wrong but needs a sacrifice. Dark magic doesn't allow non consensual sacrifice. If Gowon were to place the curse on her, she must've given up something, maybe hair, maybe blood anything actually, even money can act as a sacrifice. Suppose she wanted to place a curse on Hongjoo using Hongjoo's blood, she wouldn't succeed in placing the curse if Hongjoo doesn't want to sacrifice her blood." Yeosang explained.

I made and o shape with my lips and nodded my head in understanding. I then turned to Captain gesturing him to continue his story.

"He learned the dark to help certain clients. It was just a side business. I was a sea merchant but my trade wasn't enough to support the family which is why he had to resort to the dark arts. This was probably when I was like 34 or something. I got married late. Our neighbours were robbed by bandits so we decided to move to prevent us being the next target. I got to build a decent ship with connections I had through trade. On one of the stops we made we met Chuu from Loona. She made my husband realise that he had magic and could perform better to have a cleaner job and earn money. Finding which magic he held was a tough job. We ended up staying on that island for 4 years. My husband had the magic that could calm even the most dangerous of animals. Chuu suggested that he could get a job as a veterinarian. My husband then did a crash course on it and obtained a degree in 28 months. We started earning a decent income after he joined a clinic."

"That's a great change." Yeosang said trying to cheer him up.

"This happiness didn't last long. Well it wasn't completely our left but it wasn't hers either."

"Hers?" I asked.

"Ya, Chuu. A dark magician was killing all those who practiced dark arts. He came for my husband. He bewitched Chuu and I saw her make him a human puppet. I didn't realise she was bewitched and I almost killed Haseul because I sought revenge. I didn't think of how much she helped us. She was just being used as a puppet. Right now I don't know even know if she's still under his control. Since then she's hated everything and everyone associated with me because I almost killed Haseul."