February

4

Emmy

Mateo has been coming over the past couple days but today Gino is coming over. Mateo is helping his mom with something today-- which is fine but my daily routine now seems to include him. Gino made his way inside and to the kitchen table. I sat with him and watched as he put a small set of keys on the table.

My stomach dropped knowing exactly what the keys are and what they are for. I looked up from the keys and to Gino. "Gino... what... what are you trying to say here? The answer is no. You know that."

"What I know is that you were beaten, put in the hospital and thinking about who you were before. This gym is in your name. It still has some of your dad's belongings."

"Gino. I don't want to go back into that gym." He was silent as he rested his hands on his lap staring at me. "Is that what you think this is?" When he didn't answer I shook my head. "I won't go to San Francisco to open a gym."

"To REOPEN you mean. Your father would be full of pride knowing you would take over his gym."

"I don't want to."

"Are you sure or are you still concealing your pain?"

"Gino..."

"The gym is there. It's ready for you." I looked away from Gino and out the little window in the apartment kitchen. This is not the conversation I want to be having right now. My father's gym. His old gym. The one we closed and the one I kept tucked under payment but not open.

I'm not sure Gino knows I've been the one paying the bills to the gym, but I am. I have been. I know the gym is there. I just don't want to be in it.

"Gino. I'm not doing anything with the gym."

"Then what are you going to do? Work alongside me until I croak? The gym has the ability to allow you to teach young children your skills."

"What skills?" I let out a laugh but my ribs throbbed with absolute pain at the action. "I got beat to a pulp. I have state and national title and I got beat up on our company property. Do you know that headlines are starting to come out about the situation. Some people are posting past photos of me winning, me with championships. All with the headline 'female warrior attacked by men.' Attacked. I got attacked."

Gino stared at me and didn't back down from my stare. "You did. You did get attacked. At a place you should have been safe. But have you asked yourself why you didn't fight back? Protect yourself?"

"Stop."

"No."

"Gino--"

"No. Why didn't you put your fists up? Why didn't you block and counter punch and counter kick? Are you telling me you couldn't kick all of their asses?"

I stared at Gino and let his words settle into my body. My mind. I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Gino I won't open the gym back up."

Gino sighed and got up from his seat. "One day, Emmy, one day you will be able to walk into that gym and not burst into tears. I hope I'm with you that day because I support you. I promised your father I would take care of you."

"Is that why you want me to go to San Francisco?"

"No."

"Why do you want me to go so bad then?"

Gino gave me a little smile and shook his head. "I'm going to head home, you text me if you need anything. Mateo will stop by for lunch."

Once Gino left I stayed in my seat for some time before I got up to get my box of memories in my hallway closet. I pulled out the box and went to the living room. Opening the box my dad's favorite crewneck sweatshirt was on top. It was his college and Gino's: Boston College. It's an old maroon color with off yellow lettering. I slid it over my head and around my body.