Separate Rooms

15 

Mateo

It's been a few days of Emmy sleeping in the guest bedroom. Tonight I told her after the season opener I'd be going out with the guys. She said okay and nothing else in the texting chain. Cole came out to the game today with a few of his friends. We talked a bit about my absence during his season and during my off season. I told him I was doing my best, and I mean I am trying my best. I mean I told Emmy I love her and she then turns around and has not been sleeping in the guest room.

It's been a restless week.

All I want is for Emmy to come around and learn that I'm not going anywhere. I figured out that she thinks I'll get traded again and that I'll leave. I shocked myself when my mind told me that if I were to get traded I would retire instead. I have a handful of years still with the 49ers organization, so I'm hopefully good for that amount of time.

Our season opener went well. We ended up winning by 14 points, which wasn't bad.

Cole and I walked down the hallway of the stadium and I rolled my eyes as he talked about his plan for Winnie. He is going to present her with a promise ring. It's a nice ring, and I hope it works out for him. Winnie looks at him like he is the sun to her dark world. "So, seriously, where have you been during the off season."

I shrugged and checked my phone for a message from Emmy. Nothing yet. "I um..." I looked over at Cole who was staring at me, waiting for an answer. "I've been taking care of someone. But not like anything bad. I mean..." I blew out a breath of air and started again. "At the end of the season I went home to help my dad with something and got reintroduced to someone I knew as a family friend. We dated in college before I was drafted. We've been living together since March."

Cole stopped and blinked rapidly at me. "You've been with a woman since January and didn't mention it to me?"

"I mean... it's a bit complicated. I'm working on it."

"What does that mean?" He squinted at me in accusation and I sighed.

"I love her is what it means but she's maybe not there yet?"

"Why?"

"Hell if I know." I grumbled out and looked at my phone again. Still nothing from Emmy.

"Well you dated in college you said?"

"Mhm."

"How did that end?"

"I got drafted and moved across the country." Cole looked over at me and smacked me. "Ow! Bitch ass." I mumbled putting space between us.

"She probably thinks you'll up and leave again. As athletes we're at the whim of our contracts and general managers and owners."

"But she knows I won't leave her."

"Does she? Have you made that one hundred and ten percent clear? Trust me it wasn't easy convincing Winnie I'll be there for her, so I know the fight that is getting a woman to trust your word. Especially a woman who probably loves you and is protecting her heart."

I scratched the back of my head and sighed. "I've said it to her. I told her I loved her and in turn she moved out of the bedroom and to the guest room."

Cole let out a snort and I punched him in the shoulder. "Sorry. I do have experience in that department. You tell them you love them, they back away, but eventually if you keep showering them with love and showing them that you are there and not going anywhere they begin to melt into you."

"Hmm... okay."

"So my suggestion is to pick up or make her favorite food for dinner. Then tell her about never leaving San Francisco, unless you plan on it?" He looked over at me and I shook my head. "So tell her you're not leaving. Then continuously be there." I nodded and when we got to our cars I looked over at him. "What's her name anyway?"