Anxiety Game

16 

Emmy

Bree and Winnie are nice. We had dinner with them the other night. Today at the game I'll be with Winnie, Bree, Bree and Fin's son Jack, Cole, and Hailey. I am super nervous about going and sitting around a bunch of people, but Mateo said there was a box if it got too much for me, to head up there. I walked alongside Otto and down the hallway to where Mateo is eating breakfast. The game starts at four today so he has to leave soon.

"Morning, Emmy." I smiled over at Mateo who then leaned down to pull Otto into his lap. Otto has been spending more time in the guest room with me. I guess he can sense how much I miss sleeping beside Mateo. The safety his arms and bed give me.

I've been having bits of the nightmares but not full nightmares. Gino gave me the number to the therapist specialist the hospital helped him find. I've been staring at it for a while, but I don't want to call just yet. I picked up the plate beside the stove and sat down next to Mateo. He made eggs for me. "Thank you for the eggs, Mateo."

"Of course." He scratched Otto's head and let him down to wander before looking over at me. "How did you sleep?" His brown eyes were observing me and I licked my lips leaning back in my seat.

"Okay. Otto makes good company." Mateo let out a breath of air and got up to wash his dish. I bit my lip and put some egg on my fork. I know that Mateo feels hurt about me in my own room, but we haven't had space. He's caring and loving and everything he should be for an honorable man. We've just been too engrossed with each other that I knew I couldn't lean on him for everything.

Mateo walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me from behind. I leaned back into his hold and he kissed my exposed shoulder. "I left you some gear on the couch. I'm going to grab my stuff and head out. Can you just make sure Otto goes out before you leave?" I nodded and he moved so he was standing in front of me. "I have a car service to pick you up, just because I want to drive home with you." He winked and I smiled at him.

"Okay. When will it be here?"

"Be ready for one-thirty. That will get you there at the same time as the rest of the group. The driver has credentials so he'll get you to the right entrance door. Everyone will be waiting outside." I nodded and he placed a soft kiss on my lips before walking away.

I grabbed my phone to text Hailey to be here at noon so we could get ready. She sent me back a string of excited emojis. Before Mateo left I walked up to him and pressed my lips to his. "Good luck, all star." He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me into him.

"Is this a good luck kiss?"

"It's a kiss to say have fun and kick butt."

He smirked and let out a laugh. "Okay. I'll take it." He winked at me and I felt my stomach flutter. This is not the time or moment to jump his bones. I kissed him once more before he left for the stadium. I made sure the door was locked behind him and made my way to the living room to see what he left behind for me.

Of course it's a jersey with his number and name on it. It's a red jersey. He also left me a white long sleeve shirt with his name and number.

When we got to the stadium I held Hailey's hand as we got out of the car. I looked around the parking lot as we came in and saw many people tailgating and drinking. I forgot how fun it was to be part of that, but my brain put me on high alert. "It's okay. Remember we can go to the box and be away from people." I looked to Hailey who adjusted her 49ers hat and nodded.

"Okay. I want to be out in the seats for as long as possible."

"Don't put yourself in a stressful situation though." I sighed and leaned into her as I caught sight of Winnie, Cole, Bree and her baby boy Jack. I only saw pictures when we had dinner because she had her friend Daisy watch him. "Have you considered calling the therapist?"