Another Party

21

Mateo

We didn't make it past the second round of playoffs. I could have sworn we were going to head to the NFC championship but I guess not. All from one bad non call and the other team scoring. It ate so much of the clock that Declan could get the ball down fast enough. We were ten yards away from tying it. Next week we're going to have an end of the year party since Cole has a few days back to back that are free.

It's going to be at Cole and Winnie's place as they have a big backyard in their new home. There's going to be yardgames and drinking games and some grilling. A good chunk of the guys are going to be there from the team, some won't as they are getting traded and the other some are leaving to head to their second home with their families. A few of the Padres and Ducks are coming and I think a few Kings. I got the three girls to join us and I'm hoping Emmy will come. She's been pretty silent since the playoff game. I'm not sure what happened but after the game my mom gave me a hug and told me she's almost ready.

I wasn't sure exactly what that meant, but I'm hoping she'll come down for this. I called her to check in and she mentioned she will come down for the party. It's next Wednesday night so she'll be here Tuesday night after work. Two days until I can see her and sense what is going on. I've tried to be calm and understanding the past three months, but having her still choose to live alone hurts. I know that last week was the one year mark on the attack and I did check in with her. All she gave me was that she is okay.

I also miss Otto. I hope he has been helping take care of her. Maybe we should get another dog? I plopped onto the couch with my beer and turned on Cole's game. They're not the best in the division this year, but if they keep winning games, they can get higher in the division. In terms of the Western Conference, it's not looking good.

I scrolled through my social media and caught on to people who took photos of Emmy and I kissing before the playoff game the other day. They were posting and sharing it over many accounts. Some of them are my fan (or stan?) accounts. I sighed and closed my phone watching the Ducks battle the Stars. Is it Tuesday night yet?

When Emmy got here we caught up from the past two weeks before going out for some dinner. By the time we got home, she was exhausted. "I think I want to host another debut, but maybe get some older men and women and host a sort of exhibition. I'll also have to outsource and bring in other kids from other gyms to do this."

"I think you can pull it off. You know you might even create a rivalry between you and that other gym thirty minutes away." She laughed and rolled into me. I pulled her closer to my body and adjusted my head on the pillow so I could see her.

"I don't want to cause any tension, I just want the kids to experience a new way of training and get into the boxing world."

I kissed the top of her head and rested a hand on her hip. "I think you've been doing amazing. That other debut you had? The first one? It went well. A lot of the families were talking about how awesome it was that this gym is open again, some families even trained with your dad and were excited when they saw you were doing boxing classes for the younger kids yourself. You got rep, honey."

"Thank you." She whispered and kissed my shoulder. "Thank you for being you and understanding everything."

"Always."

In the morning, Emmy was still asleep so I took Otto for a walk to the bakery she likes around the block. I got her the cinnamon roll and an iced chai. When I got back she was still asleep so I kept everything in the kitchen. Otto and I hung out on the patio until she woke up. Her hair is in a messy bun on the top of her head. She slowly made her way to me and stopped in the doorway. "Morning." She smiled over at me and I pointed in the kitchen. "I got you a cinnamon roll and ice chai, it's on the counter."