XI. A Gut Feeling and Out of Reached

It's Friday, and for some reason I've been feeling down since I woke up this morning. Actually, kahapon pa 'to eh, when I gave her the promise ring. I know she's genuinely happy to spend the day with me, pero I can't shake the feeling that something's bothering her.

It doesn't help that she's not responding to my texts since I dropped her at her condo yesterday. Ayaw ko din naman tawagan siya, baka kasi isipin niyang masyado akong clingy dahil magkasama pa lang kami kahapon.

Kaya naman kahit tamad na tamad ako ay pinilit ko pa rin pumasok, hoping that maybe she'll talk to me at school and tell me what's been bothering her.

But, that didn't happen when first period came and in walked a different professor.

"Good morning, class. I'm Professor Andrews and I believed some of you knew me, already. I will be substituting for Professor Mendez while she deals with some personal matters."

Biglang kumabog ang dibdib ko sa narinig. I can feel my stomach churning, too. This is not good.

Ano kaya ang nangyari? At bakit hindi man lang siya nagsabi kahapon na magkasama kami? Maybe Miss Andrews knew something, should I ask her?

Iyon nga sana ang gagawin ko ng ma-dissmiss kami pero nagmamadaling lumabas ng classroom si Miss Andrews at hindi ko na rin nahabol.

So, for the rest of the day I was on autopilot. Hindi ko na namalayan na tapos na pala ang huling subject namin ngayong araw. My head was filled with thoughts of her. Gusto ko siyang puntahan sa condo niya para damayan kung ano man ang pinagdadaanan niya. I just wanted to be there for her.

But, what if she doesn't need me there? Hindi nga siya nagsabi kahapon, that means I haven't earned that right yet. To be her person, to be the one she can always turn to. Pero paano kung nahihiya lang siya magsabi? That she doesn't want to be a burden to me? Knowing her, that's most probably the reason.

Goodness! Mababaliw na ako kakaisip.

"Ugh!" I grunted, pulling my hair out of frustration. Kanina ko pa kasi tinatawagan ang phone ni Miss Mendez, but it just went straight to voicemail everytime.

"You good there, Q?" Eli asked, looking at me from the rearview mirror.

We're on our way to The Podium where we were scheduled to play tonight, and I asked Eli to drive. Tumango lang ako dito.

"You sure you're up for this right now, doll?"
Tanong ni Kenny na katabi ko sa backseat, her voice laced with concern.

"Yeah.. yes, I'm good. I just.. I-I.need to.." I look at her, pleading with my eyes. I'm feeling desperate, and this is my last resort.

"Could you, maybe.. ask Miss Gomez or Miss Andrews about Miss Mendez? Hindi ko kasi siya ma-contact." Pakiusap ko dito, seeing nothing, but genuine concern in her eyes.

"Yeah, ofcourse. Anything you need, doll. Dapat kanina ka pa nagsabi. We could've asked them personally sa school." Kenny said, running a comforting hand on my back.

"I don't want to bother you two with my personal dramas, besides we haven't been hanging out much lately. Ang dami ko ng utang sa inyo." Sabi ko sabay napayoko sa hiya, I've been ditching them a lot this week, and choosing to hangout with Miss Mendez instead.

"That's a load of crap, Q. You know we always got each other's back no matter what." Mariing sabi ni Eli mula sa driver's seat.

"Thank you, dolls. I owe you, and I promised to make it up to you guys." Sabi ko habang pinipigilan kong maiyak. I wouldn't know what to do without these two.

"Just get your shit together for now, 'kay? I'm sure she's fine. I'll call Izzy later." Kenny said, trying to assure me.

Kahit paano naman gumaan 'yong nararamdaman ko. I just can't get rid of the weird feeling from the pit of my stomach.